There is a thread flying around keynote addresses these days that has truly begun to drive me crazy: the delivery of education hasn't changed in 150 years.
That endless loop makes me wonder: how many of those speakers have actually been in a school lately? Because, if you were to walk into my school you would see innovation, engaged students, excitement for learning, creative use of technology, incredible extra-curricular activities and most of all a competent staff dedicated to continuously improving its teaching practice. And I know ours is not the only school where this occurs.
In following chats on Twitter, Classroom20, Getideas.org and through the vast number of web communities that abound, I see a global group of teachers who are pushing forward with innovation: teachers such as Aviva Dunsinger with her fully connected grade 1 class. http://avivadunsiger.wikispaces.com/Technology+Information
Or Erika Paproski who is building electric cars with her grade 5 students. http://gradefiveelectricity2011.edublogs.org/2011/03/01/assembling-the-car/
Or Scott Varady and Robert Bell at Dundas Central who are using MP3 players to improve reading fluency and are about to introduce a Lego Robotics program. This is nothing new. In my 20 years of teaching, learning and change have been part of our job description.
The truth is that innovation in education is moving forward at a breathtaking pace. Perhaps it's time for speakers to develop a new sound bite.
That endless loop makes me wonder: how many of those speakers have actually been in a school lately? Because, if you were to walk into my school you would see innovation, engaged students, excitement for learning, creative use of technology, incredible extra-curricular activities and most of all a competent staff dedicated to continuously improving its teaching practice. And I know ours is not the only school where this occurs.
In following chats on Twitter, Classroom20, Getideas.org and through the vast number of web communities that abound, I see a global group of teachers who are pushing forward with innovation: teachers such as Aviva Dunsinger with her fully connected grade 1 class. http://avivadunsiger.wikispaces.com/Technology+Information
Or Erika Paproski who is building electric cars with her grade 5 students. http://gradefiveelectricity2011.edublogs.org/2011/03/01/assembling-the-car/
Or Scott Varady and Robert Bell at Dundas Central who are using MP3 players to improve reading fluency and are about to introduce a Lego Robotics program. This is nothing new. In my 20 years of teaching, learning and change have been part of our job description.
The truth is that innovation in education is moving forward at a breathtaking pace. Perhaps it's time for speakers to develop a new sound bite.

Technology doesn't change the fact that 'schooling' has the goal of stripping one's individuality from them and molding our youth into a submissive, conforming subject who looks to some kind of authority for direction in life. Search youtube for this lecture from a former NY state 'Teacher of the Year': "GET YOUR KIDS OUT OF PUBLIC SCHOOL NOW!!!!" In one hour you will have a entirely new understanding of the purpose of public schooling.
ReplyDeleteThanks for your comments Anonymous. You've certainly found an old post. Pity you're anonymous. It's always more interesting to engage with those who are willing to put a face and name to their stances. I think the American education experience is somewhat different from Canada's.
DeleteI am aware of the history of education, and how and why public schools started. As someone who works in a public school system, I"m aware of its limitations. I am also aware of the value of public schooling and formal education. I wouldn't want a self-trained pilot flying a plane I am in, nor a self-taught neurosurgeon working on my brain. Funny how many people dig in on one side or the other. I find entrenched positions to be not that interesting. Creating something new out of best of both models? Now that is interesting.