Monday, March 28, 2011

The Lessons on Validity Have Paid Off

Well, it seems that it was worth spending an entire term on one big idea: Validity.  We've begun a new unit on explorers and the discovery of  America. My students were given a text that discussed different groups of people who could be given credit for the modern day discovery: from the Chinese, to the Irish, to the Polynesians, to the Vikings to Columbus to Caboto.  We also discussed what probably happened to the Salutreans.  The first two questions my students asked were: "How do they know this?" and "Is this information valid?"   Long after facts fade from memories, I am optimistic that the ability to question information and ideas and to look for evidence to support those ideas will remain. I am proud of you class 62!

2 comments:

  1. Wow! Congratulations, Heidi! Sounds like the hard work is paying off....students thinking critically, questioning the text, and discussing. Bravo!!!

    I was always so excited when my students actually GOT it and demonstrated their 'new' thinking skills (in middle and high school..LOL). Long before blogs, though. I'd call all my teaching buddies to share the good news...like a proud mama!

    Thanks for sharing with us today. I'm excited to follow your journey, now that I've met you via Twitter. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment Robin. Yes, we need those teaching buddies to share with. Other teachers really understand just how much work it takes to bring learners to this point. Twitter is a great place to meet fellow teachers on the journey!

    ReplyDelete

Heidi invites you to comment on your attempts to transform your teaching practice.

ShareThis

Creative Commons License
21 Century Classroom: The Amaryllis is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.
Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at http://heidisiwak.blogspot.com/.