Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Don't Forget the Amaryllis

At Christmas I was given an Amaryllis bulb kit by one of my students. I set the box aside and a few weeks ago peeked in. It had started to grow so a few of my students planted it properly and then we waited.  The growing Amaryllis was a point of discussion among my students.  We watched in excitement as the bud became larger and when the red flower was visible it was duly noted by all.  And then one day it burst into spectacular bloom.  It was beautiful. My students' pleasure in observing this moment was very evident. The next  day a label appeared on its pot: The Class Pet - Bianca's idea.
At March Break I took the flower home and on the first day back the children asked about our flower. I brought it back today. The original blossom is drying up, but a second bud is about to open.

This was an event of simplicity and beauty and it is this kind of moment that we risk losing when we only focus on assessment, testing and accountability. Please don't forget the Amaryllis.

7 comments:

  1. I will never forget our class pet (a flower)

    It died so young why did it have to end this way?

    It was so beautiful (*sigh + tear drop <3)

    We will never forget you we had great times feeding you with your favourite drink... WATER!

    All our love: ~ Bianca and Sydney <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, it's gone to sleep anyway. It will be back girls, next year when it is ready to grow again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful metaphor, your absolutely correct that we at times forget the simple pleasures of life and have to remember why we started what we did. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. He who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead; his eyes are closed.
    Albert Einstein

    That is teaching, as adults we must never forget that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's amazing the kids of all ages can make observations and marvel at the growth of a plant. Here is our entry on our inquiry
    http://mrsharrisonk.wordpress.com/2013/01/09/inquiry-amaryllis/
    @techieang
    Angie Harrison

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much Angie for sharing this delightful kindergarten amaryllis inquiry on my blog. It was lovely to read and brought back wonderful memories of how my blog was named and the remarkable group of students I had the year that post was written. I so appreciate that you took time to post this where I could see it. Yes, children of all ages can marvel and wonder!

    ReplyDelete

Heidi invites you to comment on your attempts to transform your teaching practice.

ShareThis

Creative Commons License
21 Century Classroom: The Amaryllis is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.
Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at http://heidisiwak.blogspot.com/.