Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Moments that Teachers Savour

Today, for the first time I looked at the participation report for Collaborize. It tracks number of comments, replies, etc for each student and the class as a whole.  One of the columns that surprised me was the Revote column. A number of students had revoted several times on some of our discussion topics.

I pulled some students aside to discuss this.  Why the revotes?
 These are the moments in teaching that we savour.  

"Well, when I thought about it some more, I changed my mind."
"I read what other people had to say and then I changed my opinion."
"After a couple of days, I wanted to vote different."
By including Social Media in our teaching practice, we provide students with time to think about ideas, learn from others, gain additional understanding, consider varying points of view and ... and ... and ...

Other great news:
Collaborize is spreading in my school.
Several teachers have indicated that they've begun blogs with their classes.
I'm having some fabulous discussions with my colleagues.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Heidi invites you to comment on your attempts to transform your teaching practice.

ShareThis

Creative Commons License
21 Century Classroom: The Amaryllis is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.
Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at http://heidisiwak.blogspot.com/.