Sunday, March 6, 2011

Questions, I Have Lots of Questions

If a student is following my class online at home, or at the mall or in the car on the way to Florida, do I still mark him or her as absent?

If I am learning every day from my students, can you still call me the teacher?

If an idea has become so compelling in my class that my students are not ready to move on and profound learning is taking place, must I still follow the curriculum?

Is it still possible to run a class without allowing everyone to post their thoughts so all can see?  Would I even want this anymore?

Why is email so boring?  I can't see what everyone else thinks about the message.  Why does this now annoy me?

Can you put students back at a desk and expect them to participate in
teacher-directed lessons once you've allowed them freedom to pursue their own learning?

Why do I have to attend structured, top-down in-services when that is not how I learn best?

How far will I be allowed to push the boundaries before administration gets in the way?

Social Media has completely changed how I interact with the world.  Did the creators know this would happen?  What do they have sitting in the wings that is going to completely alter my life once again?  What do they know that I don't?  How can I find out?  Are they just my puppet master?  How will this affect my teaching practice?

What is going to disappear within the next 10 years? Grades? Bell times? Subjects? Teachers?

How are teachers who aren't exploring these new ideas going to cope when this tsunami of change hits?  It's bubbling just below the surface, but is about to explode.  What will they do?

Why would I want my child to be in a class of 25 with a generalist teacher when she could be online with an award-winning subject specialist teacher teaching 100?

What parts of schools are worth keeping?

What kinds of people will emerge once we've allowed self-directed learning to take hold?  Will we unleash an unprecedented creative force such as the world has never seen?

When will a teacher in France begin teaching my students French while I teach her students English?

Why are some teachers still not recognizing the biological need of young children to move in order to learn?

Why do I feel that as a teacher I am walking in two worlds?

When is my school board going to open its first Inquiry-Based School and can I be part of that process?

Questions. Lots of questions.
 Answers would be greatly appreciated. Especially with regard to what's sitting in the wings.






2 comments:

  1. You know, I don't think there are any answers. Nobody knows. The trouble being the pace of all this change... it's happening faster than policies can be created. As we are all very much aware, Education is about so much more than if the students are learning... if learning were the only concern, you could answer that with MUCH certainty, but is it good enough? Probably not. I don't think that answered any of your questions, but I think those are the questions we all have, so you are not alone:)

    Your post has inspired me to think and write more than a comment's worth, so I will work on a Blog now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've hit the nail on the head. Change is occurring faster than policy can be created. It is going to be so interesting to see what evolves over the next 10 years. I'm glad you felt inspired to write.

    ReplyDelete

Heidi invites you to comment on your attempts to transform your teaching practice.

ShareThis

Creative Commons License
21 Century Classroom: The Amaryllis is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.
Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at http://heidisiwak.blogspot.com/.