Sunday, March 6, 2011

The Marking System I Want Now

Students are busy creating all kinds of  digital media outside of the regular classroom. Brilliant, creative, interesting work. They are also creating within my class.  I've been thinking that assessment tools need to be developed for this.  Assessment should be based on their overall body of work.  Not just what they create specifically for me.

This is what I'm looking for: A digital portfolio.
No matter what online tool they are using they could click on a button to upload to their digital portfolio. The digital portfolio would allow feedback - voice, text, video.  This feedback should be social i.e. not just from me. Beside each post would be a encrypted link to success criteria, or a learning continuum or a rubric.  The link would have the option of automatically recognizing which assessment tool was best and  would be based on globally developed standards. It would also allow student/teacher created assessment options.  All their current teachers could see their work. Why as a language teacher couldn't I assess the writing in their lab report?  The assessment would automatically upload to my marks book.  There would be a spot for Next Steps.
Oh, and I almost forgot: that whole meta cognitive piece.  Students would have a place to explain what they were trying to accomplish, what they found difficult, strategies they used to solve problems.  They would identify their own next steps and develop strategies for resolving their difficulties. 
Once the student is no longer in my class, my access would end. A new teacher could be assigned, the portfolio would continue to exist.  Who makes this?  Wish I knew programming!

2 comments:

  1. Yes, yes yes! This is exactly what we need. It doesn't exist yet but I am working on it as part of the Learning Genome. The tricky bit is to get the equivalent of a Facebook "like" on every webpage.

    ReplyDelete

Heidi invites you to comment on your attempts to transform your teaching practice.

ShareThis

Creative Commons License
21 Century Classroom: The Amaryllis is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.
Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at http://heidisiwak.blogspot.com/.