The students I am teaching today are not the students I taught 10 years ago. For my students of 10 years ago, the act of engaging in text was a linear experience. They read text and created meaning as they moved from beginning to end.
For my students today, text is a dynamic act of co-creation. Students expect to be able to create, invent, collaborate, make decisions and explore as they co-create the narrative. Genre is not something to study and then replicate. Genre is a continuously emerging experience different today from yesterday. I would like to thank the following people who have helped me begin to understand this.
http://maryannreilly.blogspot.com/2011/02/literacy-colonialism-and-web-20.html
http://melaniemcbride.net/about-melanie/
http://sendfelicity.com/being_prudence.html
http://edurealms.com/
http://wowinschool.pbworks.com/w/page/5268731/FrontPage
http://www.mathiaspoulsen.com/my-take-on-games-in-education/
http://www.academiccolab.org/resources/documents/Good_Learning.pdf
I feel that the foundations of my teaching practice have been shaken. In order to fully understand these new students, I must enter their worlds. I am about to become a gamer!
For my students today, text is a dynamic act of co-creation. Students expect to be able to create, invent, collaborate, make decisions and explore as they co-create the narrative. Genre is not something to study and then replicate. Genre is a continuously emerging experience different today from yesterday. I would like to thank the following people who have helped me begin to understand this.
http://maryannreilly.blogspot.com/2011/02/literacy-colonialism-and-web-20.html
http://melaniemcbride.net/about-melanie/
http://sendfelicity.com/being_prudence.html
http://edurealms.com/
http://wowinschool.pbworks.com/w/page/5268731/FrontPage
http://www.mathiaspoulsen.com/my-take-on-games-in-education/
http://www.academiccolab.org/resources/documents/Good_Learning.pdf
I feel that the foundations of my teaching practice have been shaken. In order to fully understand these new students, I must enter their worlds. I am about to become a gamer!

Do it! What are you going to play?! It really is something to watch kids figure out 'games'... if you are going to play, it is handy to have a kid nearby to get you unstuck... it is an interesting study on perseverance and problem solving, that's for sure! Have fun!
ReplyDeleteps. Some interesting stuff about 'games' in one of my recent blogs, including a link for an awesome prezi about the subject by Ryan McCallum.