I owe a debt of gratitude to the teachers from St. Catherine of Siena who developed The Thinking Matrix and shared it with the world. (I am adding this link that was sent to me by @MrDHill on twitter, http://www.cpco.on.ca/News/PrincipalConnections/PastIssues/Vol14/Issue1/PL.pdf )
What is it? A way to:
1. guide learners from lower level thinking to higher level thinking.
2. help learners recognize what kind of questions they are asking and where they fit with regard to higher order thinking.
3. recognize what is being asked and how to craft a thoughtful response WITHOUT RELYING ON FORMULAS. Sorry I had to shout that, because so much of what we've been doing over the past few years has involved teaching learners a formula for answering standardized test questions.
Here is an early sample of what is posted in all of our junior and middle school classrooms.
It begins with Retell or Summary which requires the lowest levels of thinking, but being able to demonstrate understanding by retelling the main points of a text is the foundation of all other skills. Thus we start our year by learning to write good summaries.
We begin learning Retell with a question. In this case we have been reading Hana's Suitcase and learning about the rise of the Nazis. The question students were asked was: Who Were the Nazis?
First we tear apart the question.
(by main details, they meant, not to include anything but the main details)
We next looked at 4 different responses to that question and discussed the merits of each.
The students were able to identify the best response and from that we developed Success Criteria - reasons why the last response is the best.
Based on that, students began writing their own responses to that question. Depending on the strength of the students, this might be a modeled, or paired activity, but I have a strong group of writers this year so we went directly to independent work.
Students referred to charts in the classroom, vocabulary lists and the internet in order to make sure their facts were accurate and that they were using an elevated vocabulary.
Once finished, they were typed on the computer and saved. When some students were finished or almost finished we revisited the Success Criteria and developed an anchor chart. All suggestions are student generated.
We also looked at the language of grading.
Finally, with these tools in hand learners were given two copies of two retells from students in the class. They worked with a partner to assess them based on our Success Criteria.
As a class we discussed our assessments. It was as if a group of teachers were assessing together. We had an intense discussion of how and why they assessed, beginning with problems in the writing. I have to say, they were demanding of their peers, and did not hesitate to justify why they considered parts of the writing to be poor, this included imprecise vocabulary and events being out of sequence.
We finished by focusing on the positive. We always want to leave people feeling good!
Finally, students reflected on the assessment process in their language notebooks.
Finally, we went to the computer lab to finish writing and editing our responses to the original question. Learners had to have a peer review their work, before calling me over for final editing assistance.
While most were doing this, Megan, one of the students in 62, took our original student-created chart and formalized it.
Now that students know how to write a summary, they will begin working on the next skill in The Thinking Matrix, Relate and Reflect
More info on the Thinking Matrix: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1CNpvaJeAfxQLQrl_nmuBKun98QnAxFbRGuINH6oL3R0/edit
And one very excellent tool for teaching critical thinking.
http://www.criticalthinking.org/ctmodel/logic-model1.htm
@datadiva made this suggestion for flipping the rubric. http://qualityrubrics.pbworks.com/w/page/33787201/Low%20to%20High%20versus%20High%20to%20Low
What is it? A way to:
1. guide learners from lower level thinking to higher level thinking.
2. help learners recognize what kind of questions they are asking and where they fit with regard to higher order thinking.
3. recognize what is being asked and how to craft a thoughtful response WITHOUT RELYING ON FORMULAS. Sorry I had to shout that, because so much of what we've been doing over the past few years has involved teaching learners a formula for answering standardized test questions.
Here is an early sample of what is posted in all of our junior and middle school classrooms.
It begins with Retell or Summary which requires the lowest levels of thinking, but being able to demonstrate understanding by retelling the main points of a text is the foundation of all other skills. Thus we start our year by learning to write good summaries.
We begin learning Retell with a question. In this case we have been reading Hana's Suitcase and learning about the rise of the Nazis. The question students were asked was: Who Were the Nazis?
First we tear apart the question.
(by main details, they meant, not to include anything but the main details)
We next looked at 4 different responses to that question and discussed the merits of each.
The students were able to identify the best response and from that we developed Success Criteria - reasons why the last response is the best.
Based on that, students began writing their own responses to that question. Depending on the strength of the students, this might be a modeled, or paired activity, but I have a strong group of writers this year so we went directly to independent work.
Students referred to charts in the classroom, vocabulary lists and the internet in order to make sure their facts were accurate and that they were using an elevated vocabulary.
Once finished, they were typed on the computer and saved. When some students were finished or almost finished we revisited the Success Criteria and developed an anchor chart. All suggestions are student generated.
We also looked at the language of grading.
As a class we discussed our assessments. It was as if a group of teachers were assessing together. We had an intense discussion of how and why they assessed, beginning with problems in the writing. I have to say, they were demanding of their peers, and did not hesitate to justify why they considered parts of the writing to be poor, this included imprecise vocabulary and events being out of sequence.
We finished by focusing on the positive. We always want to leave people feeling good!
Finally, students reflected on the assessment process in their language notebooks.
Finally, we went to the computer lab to finish writing and editing our responses to the original question. Learners had to have a peer review their work, before calling me over for final editing assistance.
While most were doing this, Megan, one of the students in 62, took our original student-created chart and formalized it.
Now that students know how to write a summary, they will begin working on the next skill in The Thinking Matrix, Relate and Reflect
More info on the Thinking Matrix: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1CNpvaJeAfxQLQrl_nmuBKun98QnAxFbRGuINH6oL3R0/edit
And one very excellent tool for teaching critical thinking.
http://www.criticalthinking.org/ctmodel/logic-model1.htm
@datadiva made this suggestion for flipping the rubric. http://qualityrubrics.pbworks.com/w/page/33787201/Low%20to%20High%20versus%20High%20to%20Low

Excellent thinking and work here! Thank you for sharing, Heidi!
ReplyDelete*gotta run - I am at school and need to attend a meeting*
Thanks Cristina, we appreciate the feedback. My class was very excited to hear this.
ReplyDeleteHi Heidi,
ReplyDeleteI only discovered your blog today and I feel as though I have struck gold!
I would like to learn more about your Thinking Matrix. I have read the link from St. Catherine of Siena that you posted, but it doesn't really go into any detail, and their picture is very blurry. I can't make out all of the titles on your matrix either. It, of course, makes me think of the Allan Luke's Four Roles of the Literate Learner; I was wondering if you could possibly tell me what it says on your "Student Starters" and your "Thinking" for each category? Also, what is above the word Thinking? It looks like "Meta-Tag"?
Hi Lorraine,
ReplyDeleteThank you so much for your comments. More than anything else I want this blog to be useful. I have more info on the thinking matrix which I'll share.
Heidi, Thanks for the thoughtful post and many links to help others develop strategies and processes for their own and their students' reasoning abilities. With the emphasis on deeper thinking in the Common Core State Standards, this post and its references are a must read. Thank you!
ReplyDeleteHi Sheri,
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad that you found this post useful.
Hi Heidi:
ReplyDeleteI too am very interested in the thinking matrix. I have checked out many of the links you have posted and read the document "Learning is the Work" I am going to watch the podcasts as well. I am working with some grade 8 teachers on a literacy study and I think this might really ground our teaching. Do you have any more information to share? The meta tags intrigue me.
thanks,
Kerry
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteHi Kerry,
ReplyDeleteLearning About the Thinking Matrix was an "aha moment" for me. It was the tool that allowed us to become critical thinkers. I know of schools and teachers who have developed exceptional learning using it as the foundation. When I first began, I moved sequentially through the matrix, mostly for me as I needed to get a handle on each element. I know of other teachers who start with the whole and as topics arise, work to determine how the learning fits on the matrix. I do know that exceptional work is being done in our board using the matrix, unfortunately, I don't have more links to share. Some use it by having kids generate questions about what has been read and then plot those questions on the Matrix; they develop criteria and models for responding to those questions. This helps learners figure out what kind of question they are actually asking. I would say that it shouldn't be cast in stone. Use it as a starting point and then develop it in a way that works for you. I hope this helps and I look forward to learning how your teachers develop it.
Great learning here,
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing the Thinking Matrix.
My pleasure!
DeleteHi Heidi. Alessia here. It makes me warm and fuzzy to see your work with the Thinking Matrix. I have learned so much from seeing how you have used it and adapted it to bump your students' thinking.
ReplyDelete