A few weeks ago I encountered an educator who was frustrated with the behaviour and lack of results from students after introducing blogging to the classroom. When I inquired after what had happened the teacher responded with, "They were being really silly just posting silly comments. It was our first day in the lab with blogs and I wanted them to write a post."
There you have it. A simple way to kill a whole new world of learning. The whole point of these new technologies is not to have the students do want you want them to do, it is for them to discover the possibilities and make of it what they will.
And it hit me, wow, we could ruin everything. Teachers could take actually take this whole new world of possibilities and turn it into just one more way to do what they've always done. Yikes!
I was very relieved that this teacher decided to try a different approach - explore and play first.
There you have it. A simple way to kill a whole new world of learning. The whole point of these new technologies is not to have the students do want you want them to do, it is for them to discover the possibilities and make of it what they will.
And it hit me, wow, we could ruin everything. Teachers could take actually take this whole new world of possibilities and turn it into just one more way to do what they've always done. Yikes!
I was very relieved that this teacher decided to try a different approach - explore and play first.

No comments:
Post a Comment
Heidi invites you to comment on your attempts to transform your teaching practice.