Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Class 72's Digital Citizenship Presentations

(Presentations are attached at the bottom of this post)

This year I have begun to tie many loose ends together in my exploration of new modes of learning. I get things now that I didn't before. It 's a nice feeling.  Now, for example, I understand how to effectively use my global professional learning network to assist my students. I know how to gather resources and store them openly and efficiently. I also understand how to deliberately unstructure a lesson so that it leads to inquiry or deliberately structure a lesson because a pre-determined objective needs to met.

I have certainly refined processes so that they've come closer to my vision of how a 21st century classroom should operate. Why?

1. I made use of my PLN. Resources for the unit came from my twitter connections.  I gathered them in a livebinder. Each page in the binder explains to others how I made use of my PLN and gives links to content and tools that anyone can use.  http://livebinders.com/edit?id=187963

2. Because resources and tools were in the livebinder, students could access them from any computer at anytime.  They could go home, rewatch or go online in class.  They could return to a specific resource at the moment it was needed.  They didn't have to wait for me in order to move forward.

3. Learning and teaching was shared. As we explored and discussed,  learning was reciprocal and we regularly reflected on the usefulness of the tasks we were completing.  Lots of the learning was messy. Learners had to figure out tools, develop a wide range of new skills and work through challenges. There was no avoiding or skipping over steps: to get a satisfactory presentation, skills had to be learned. There was a willingness, though, on the part of students to share  with others who were experiencing difficulty.

4. Students demonstrated their knowledge using a variety of tools: Animoto, Prezi, Powerpoint and Slideshare, Bitstrips, Glogster and GoAnimate. As long as the students could demonstrate learning, it didn't matter how they chose to construct the presentation.  This took some getting used to on their parts.  Getting learners to shift from teacher directed: "Do we have to ...." to learner devised:  "How do you think you can best represent this learning?" is new for many of them.  Not all were comfortable with this.

5. Assessment was on-going, descriptive, primarily verbal, and was given in a way that permitted learners to think more deeply or expand their demonstration of learning.

6. This process was by no means perfect, and we did run into challenges that require a broader conversation, so I'll leave those for another post.  Here are links to some of the presentations they created. Enjoy!

Michelle and Allison: http://prezi.com/qyvn3zvbkhjn/our-digital-citizenship-project/

Loran and Claire: http://prezi.com/bhuwl05w_iud/digital-citizenship/



                            http://animoto.com/play/nUtWhE1eeOvqAm4Y53yLMA

Edie: http://roadsly.glogster.com/glog/ 

Sam and Mignon

View more presentations from migsam

No comments:

Post a Comment

Heidi invites you to comment on your attempts to transform your teaching practice.

ShareThis

Creative Commons License
21 Century Classroom: The Amaryllis is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.
Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at http://heidisiwak.blogspot.com/.