Saturday, October 22, 2011

If you really wanted to transform a school ...

If you really wanted to transform a school, I don't think it would actually be all that hard.

If you really wanted to transform a school you'd start with the learners. You'd ask them directly. What's working? What's not?

And then together you'd plan for change.

If you really wanted to transform a school, you'd ask the teachers. What's working? What's not?

And then together you'd plan for change.

If you really wanted to transform a school, you'd ask the caretaking staff. What's working? What's not?

And then together you'd plan for change.

If you really wanted to transform a school, you'd ask the parents. What's working? What's not?

And then together you'd plan for change.

If you really wanted to transform a school, you'd ask administration. What's working? What's not?

And then together you'd plan for change.

I don't think profound change is all that difficult to achieve.
But it will take courage. Courage to hear what we might not like to hear.
Should we allow fear of what might be said to stop us?
I think not.

We must begin with voices, the voices of learners. And since we are all learners, let's begin!

4 comments:

  1. Nicely done Heidi! Simplicity or "KISS" :) Now, if I could only land the ever alluding Principlaship? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true...but the key word is TOGETHER ... not competing against one another in RACE to the TOP or pay for performance. It will take looking at student learning through a paradigm of community...as a 'we'...not a 'me' As a school...not just a teacher...as a family and not just the child. As a district and not just a school... as a nation and not just a state. When we start to ASK what is working and what is not...rather than telling others what we think they are doing wrong...Just IMAGINE! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Bill,
    Thanks for taking the time the comment. Feedback is always appreciated. After everything that has gone in education, I think simplicity is the key o an elegant solution!

    Hi Mrs T,
    And thanks to you too! It's together that is key. Imagine if all those voices were at the same table talking openly and honestly!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi I'm Jeffrey Dorsey a student in Dr. Strange's EDM 310 class. I attend the University of South Alabama. I think you made a great point in this post, we can not be scared of change. I think if we receive the feedback from the right people we will eventually be able to make things like this possible. This post is very possible for individuals who are not scared of rejection. This is a very interesting post.

    ReplyDelete

Heidi invites you to comment on your attempts to transform your teaching practice.

ShareThis

Creative Commons License
21 Century Classroom: The Amaryllis is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.
Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at http://heidisiwak.blogspot.com/.