This summer I had planned on finishing the editing of our app as well as completing a number of tasks that have been sitting on the back burner. As life tends to do, however, barriers are thrown up and other priorities require attention. My father has become quite ill and on top of this, at the end of August we realized that we would need to move my mother-in-law from Montreal to Hamilton and have been scrambling to get this organized. I had thought that this past weekend would provide time to finally edit the app, but it was not to be. Life happens. As it turns out though, while stressful and worrying, these barriers have had one positive outcome. By preventing me from editing the app, they have provided me with yet another opportunity to observe the impact of this project.
Normally, at the end of a school year, any work that has not been completed is forgotten. Out of sight, out of mind. This is not the case with the app project. Today during the first day back to school, my students from last year who are now in grade 7 sought me out to find out the progress of the app. The commitment to finish is front and centre. They asked, "What do we need to do next? and Are we going to have a meeting?" They are ready to pick up right where we left off even though they are no longer in my class. This project is that important to them.
I am so glad I did not finish the editing for them. They are determined to put the final touches on themselves. Ian, Esa and Cynthia, I can't thank you enough for providing me with this project that has shown me just what students will commit to when the task is truly meaningful.
Documenting the transformation of my classroom into a 21st Century place for learning. This blog is about to undergo a long overdue design overhaul. Willing to move if the right opportunity comes my way!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
ShareThis

21 Century Classroom: The Amaryllis is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.
Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at http://heidisiwak.blogspot.com/.
Thank you Heidi. It has been a pleasure and a privilege working with you and class 62. It is really wonderful to hear how committed they are. -Esa
ReplyDeleteI can't wait to work with your kids this year... I can't wait to see what you do next! Let me know if there is anything I can do to help you... chances are, I will be around a lot (at least I hope so!)
ReplyDeleteThank you Heidi. I'm really honored to participate in any way I can. It's heartwarming to see kids express their passion to create and enthusiastically follow the project to the end. COOL CLASS 62. What a lovely lesson/gift you have shared with them!
ReplyDeleteYou all inspire me too. ; ) Sending you & your family good wishes for a speedy recovery.