One of my colleagues from another country shared an introduction to computer class that her grade 7 son brought home during the first week of school. My eyebrows shot up when I saw it, but what I truly wondered was what would my students think if they were to be given such a paper? It begins with what not to do in class, closely followed by how they will be punished should they choose to engage in that behaviour, including how marks can be lost. If students follow all the rules then they apparently will be successful.
I first gave the students the opportunity to write down their reactions without discussion as I did not want them to be influenced by others or me. The most common word in their responses was "harsh" and that the introduction to computer class was very negative.
After reading the text we had a fantastic discussion about student-teacher relationships and how they impact learning and the desire to learn. Power was recognized as a factor. Teachers have enormous power over students because of the adult-child relationship and because of marks and report cards. Students recognized that they are placed in teacher's classes but have no say in the process, that sometimes students end up with teachers who teach in a way that does not allow them to learn and that there is nothing they can do about it, particularly in elementary school. I asked them if they had ever sat in a class and thought to themselves, "I can't learn in this way." Every single child had experienced this at least once. This led to the question, "What would learning be like if you could select the teacher with whom you learn best?" That stopped the students in their tracks. I could see the wheels turning as they realized how the world of learning would change if they could seek out the teacher that matched their needs. It was a profound moment as they realized that school and learning could be different.
I did ask them what they would do if they came across such a strict/negative teacher. (I should note that we did agree that we only had this sheet from which to draw conclusions and had no idea how effective she was when teaching). Some did not know what they would do, but the majority agreed that they would attempt to comply. They didn't use the words "play the game", but that was the underlying message in the discussion: do what you need to do to survive in that class.
Below are a few samples from the rules that were given out as well as direct quotes from my students. The teacher and school were never identified. The document began like this:
Mrs __(X's)____ Class Rules
ALL students should keep their hands and bodies to themselves.
ALL students will enter the computer lab and wait for instructions BEFORE touching the computers
After all instructions have been given, students will be allowed to begin working.
There should be NO talking when I'm talking. All other talking is to be kept to a MINIMUM! If I have to speak to you more than once about this, you will be asked to leave the room and do a writing assignment.
ALL work must be completed in a timely manner. If an assignment is not complete, it is a zero.
The document continues on in this way ending with:
If you are to be late to class, you should have a note from the teacher/administrator who kept you from arriving to class on time. Failure to have a note will result in one demerit. If a student receives 3 demerits, that student will receive a zero for the day and notice will be given to the vice-principal.
I gave each student two sticky notes. One for comments and one for questions and then read the text with them.
Here's what they wrote:
Why are they so strict?
Why did Mrs X's rules end up being so harsh?
Do all the kids really need such harsh rules?
What happens if you need help with a test?
What happens if you talk when she talks?
Are teachers ALLOWED to do that??!!!!
Why are the rules so harsh?
Why are the rules so harsh?
Why doesn't she allow any mistakes?
Are all the teachers in the school like this?
What happened to Mrs X to make her like this?
Some of her rules are ridiculous.
She is a very strict teacher. She has a lot of rules.
I don't think the teacher is being fair.
That is not fair to give a zero if they've done all the work.
I think the rules were a little harsh.
This is harsh.
These rules are harsh. She is strict.
WOW!!!!
That sounds horrible.
It's a bit strict for the first day of school and those are harsh punishments.
If assignments are not done, sometimes people have good reasons. I don't think they should get an automatic zero.
Some of the rules are ok.
I think this teacher has VERY DIFFERENT rules.
I believe that this teacher is OLD.
That sucks.
I don't think the teacher is being fair that you have to have a note or you receive a zero for the day.
She is very thorough with grades and gives bad grades a lot.
Some points were good, but others seemed a little harsh.
These comments and questions were written independently.
Students then got into small groups with questions to discuss.
1. Do these rules inspire you to want to follow them and learn?
NO!!!!! Because they are unfair to the persons in the class. We would not like to learn in that class. It is hard work to make people NOT have fun.
2.Why do you think Mrs. X has begun the year this way?
To get the rules into the kids' heads.
To get the kids ready for high school.
To make sure the kids make good use of their time.
I think Mrs X made these rules so she could control the kids by saying if you're late you get a zero. I think Mrs X made these rules because she knows kids are afraid of strict teachers.
I think she is trying to teach the kids to not be late but it is a discouraging message.
3. What did you infer about Mrs X?
She's mean
She strongly dislikes children.
I would try to go to a different school.
She's old.
4. Do you think this is a good introduction to this class?
No, it's a bit too restricting to kids who don't need those rules.
5.Does this teacher value learning and students?
This teacher seems to value learning but I don't think the students will.
6. How would you react if Mrs. X was your teacher?
I would be frightened. I would try to follow the rules so as not to fail grade 7.
7.How did reading these rules make you feel?
These rules made us feel terrified. They are harsh. I don't think anyone would be able to obey them for long. They could keep the students in order if the teacher is NICE though.
8.Should Mrs X have taken a different approach?
Yes, on the first day of school you want to feel welcome and not have to worry. Kids are just coming out of summer and don't want to be overwhelmed with rules.
My own feelings are that this is a very inexperienced teacher, a frightened teacher or a controlling teacher. I could be very wrong though. The one important question is will this approach lead to learning? I discussed this with my sister as we thought back to teachers from whom we had learned. It turns out that some of the teachers that we disliked at the time because we considered them to be mean or strict were the ones that at this point in life we look back to and value because of the skills we learned. A few of my students thought back to a teacher they had had who had been very strict and acknowledged that they had learned a great deal in that class. What was different about that teacher though and what they did not sense from this sheet was that the teacher they had had was very caring. This shows that learning is complex and there are no easy answers.
Documenting the transformation of my classroom into a 21st Century place for learning. This blog is about to undergo a long overdue design overhaul. Willing to move if the right opportunity comes my way!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
ShareThis

21 Century Classroom: The Amaryllis is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.
Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at http://heidisiwak.blogspot.com/.
One of the questions I routinely asked students at the beginning of a school year was: Tell me please, whet type of teacher you would want me to be.
ReplyDeleteThat seemed to elicit a lot of commentary and history.
Your students's insights are awesome. It unnerves me to think of words like terrified, harsh and not cringe a bit as I think about that 12 year old boy stuck in Mrs. Xs class.
I think turning that control over to students: how do you need me to be so that you can learn is a wonderful approach.
ReplyDeleteWhat unnerved me was the compliance - the recognition that they ultimately are powerless and need to comply even if it goes against what they believe to be right.
I think that boy will be doing a great deal of learning this year but not the kind of learning that was expected!
It hits home in particular because my daughter has come home from high school completely frustrated by her math teacher's approach to instruction. There is no text book, he never actually mentioned the topic he was teaching - no name for the concept that would allow her to draw upon background knowledge. He wrote examples on the board which he explained and gave them practice questions to mimic. She was completely frustrated because she realizes that she learned nothing yet the mark for this course will affect her application to university. I've turned the control over to her. She has decided to drop that class, switch into a self-directed class and seek tutoring twice a week.
ReplyDeleteYour daughter's decision is interesting and quite proactive. I halve seen similar situations where students stay in the class and they come to learn that they r no good at math. They internalize the incompetent teaching as self reflection.
ReplyDelete. Sigh.
One of Mary Ann's posts stuck a nerve in me with a particularly wise line:
ReplyDelete"Joy resides alongside agency."
I think so far in our experience with making learning experiences (I hesitate to use the word curriculum or textbook, though aspects of the DIY app project and other things could be viewed as such), when we construct a safe space where children & youth are given autonomy, they surprise us by showing how limited our preconceptions of their abilities. Sometimes, they even surprise themselves, which is even more wonderful, as they've had to work past their own personal preconceptions and discover new things about themselves.
There's such a tremendous tension between "covering everything in the set curriculum" and the available time allocated to it, versus being wise enough to step back and be a guide and co-learner. We are very fortunate to have met you Heidi - thank you for being so brave and thoughtful about sharing your work with us, and especially in collaborating with us to trial different ways of learning with your students, while keeping us grounded in real-world practicalities.
All the best,
- Ian