I have been trying to pull together a formal structure for the work I have done over the past year. How to I consistently structure my classroom, not through hit and miss experimentation (although, this did lead to some exceptional discoveries about teaching and learning), but with a sound structure that balances independent and teacher directed learning using new technologies? How do I train my students so that self-directed networked learning becomes ingrained? How do I recognize the point at which intervention, direction and support are required?
Here is a research paper where the entire process was carefully planned and structured from beginning to end. 15 students from grades 10-12 completed a 9 week course where the primary purpose was to learn how to develop and use a personal learning network.
http://www.ascilite.org.au/ajet/ajet26/drexler.html
I strongly believe that this is where education is heading and I like this paper because it gives a clear picture of the model and how it works. It shows the role of the teacher as facilitator. It points out how and when teachers will need to provide support. It also stresses that teacher training and technical support is key to the success of this model.
Can this be done in elementary school? Absolutely. Here is a school that has been designed from the ground up to allow inquiry-based, collaborative learning to occur. http://q2l.org/
For some reason the link tool in blogger is not working. Highlighting the links will allow you to go directly to them.
Documenting the transformation of my classroom into a 21st Century place for learning. This blog is about to undergo a long overdue design overhaul. Willing to move if the right opportunity comes my way!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
ShareThis

21 Century Classroom: The Amaryllis is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.
Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at http://heidisiwak.blogspot.com/.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Heidi invites you to comment on your attempts to transform your teaching practice.