On the March Break, I spent some time with Nogah Kornberg at Rotmanfurther developing my understanding of integrative thinking strategies. I consider myself very privileged to be receiving her guidance as I try to figure out what works with Middle School learners.
One thing I learned is that I can do a better job of teaching inferencing, which until now has been very much informed by the structure of EQAO, Ontario's standardized tests that occurs in grades 3 and 6. A section from last year's test required students to read a poem about an old carousel and then respond in no more than 5 lines to this question. How do the changes to the carousel and surrounding area make the speaker feel? Use specific details from the poem to support your answer. Students must infer the feelings of the speaker as they are not stated directly in the text. This is a very linear task requiring students to narrow in on one correct answer.
Integrative Thinking approaches inferencing with greater complexity. It compels thinkers to recognize not just their inferences and why they made them, but to also consider what other inferences could have been made had they paid attention to different information. It teaches thinkers to recognize that the information they consider salient shapes their inferences and ultimately influences what information they then pay attention to (or consider salient) the next time they are required to make an inference.
This week my students will be engaging in activities that require them to recognize what information they consider salient and the chain of thinking and action that results. I've begun creating a structure for this, but will rework the wording in the instructions.
One thing I learned is that I can do a better job of teaching inferencing, which until now has been very much informed by the structure of EQAO, Ontario's standardized tests that occurs in grades 3 and 6. A section from last year's test required students to read a poem about an old carousel and then respond in no more than 5 lines to this question. How do the changes to the carousel and surrounding area make the speaker feel? Use specific details from the poem to support your answer. Students must infer the feelings of the speaker as they are not stated directly in the text. This is a very linear task requiring students to narrow in on one correct answer.
Integrative Thinking approaches inferencing with greater complexity. It compels thinkers to recognize not just their inferences and why they made them, but to also consider what other inferences could have been made had they paid attention to different information. It teaches thinkers to recognize that the information they consider salient shapes their inferences and ultimately influences what information they then pay attention to (or consider salient) the next time they are required to make an inference.
This week my students will be engaging in activities that require them to recognize what information they consider salient and the chain of thinking and action that results. I've begun creating a structure for this, but will rework the wording in the instructions.


Thanks for sharing...I look forward to hearing more about integrative thinking.
ReplyDeleteIt's intriguing isn't it? I, too, am looking forward to learning more. This is very new to me.
ReplyDelete