Friday, March 22, 2013

What is Salient Now?

This week my grade 7's have been developing their understanding of salience and how what a person finds salient influences how they move up the Ladder of Inference and what they consider salient the next time they have a choice to make.

This was an example I created for  the class.


 Students then had to start with the end point and construct a Ladder of Inference that would lead to what is salient now.



The next step was to write a story using the above planner. Many students found this extremely challenging and because this approach to learning is new to me, my  inability to articulate clearly what I was looking for probably created some confusion. The ability to deal with a complex task is important though and we persisted. One on one work and small group discussions helped clarify purpose, but it was one student, Kyle, grasping the activity fully and writing a very clever and amusing story which he read to the class that caused the light bulbs to light up. Students are now busy writing and we will publish once they are finished.

5 comments:

  1. Hello, my name is Daphney McFadden. I am student at the University of South Alabama, located in Mobile, AL where Dr. John Strange is my professor. I am majoring in Special Education. I think that this idea is great!! I have never heard of this until now. I honestly look forward to reading the rest of your blogs. Quick question: What exactly is Salience? I think that I have an idea, but I want to make sure I have a clear understanding. I hope to see you on Twitter (@DaphneyMcFadden)!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Daphne, thank you for your comments. Integrative and Design Thinking are new to me too. I'm finding it fascinating as we learn to cope with complex rather than linear thought. Salient: the most noticeable or important

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm following your thinking on this and like what I'm seeing, Heidi. I wonder though - what happens when they cannot identify one point? Is there value in analyzing the other concepts?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Doug,
    I'm finding this work fascinating. Could you clarify what you mean by "analyzing the other concepts"?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Doug,
    I think the answer you are looking for is this. The role of the facilitator is not to assume anything about what the learner is thinking and instead to prompt them to think more deeply in order to clarify their own understanding. If a student gets stuck at a certain two useful strategies are:
    1. To say, "Tell me more." until they develop clarity
    or
    2. To keep asking why until they work backwards to understanding.

    ReplyDelete

Heidi invites you to comment on your attempts to transform your teaching practice.

ShareThis

Creative Commons License
21 Century Classroom: The Amaryllis is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.
Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at http://heidisiwak.blogspot.com/.