Today we used a thinking tool which involved asking many why's. The purpose of this tool is to cause learners to think backwards from a conclusion to the inference that led to the conclusion to the information they selected to make that inference and then to try to understand why they selected that data and not other information that was available. I decided to use this method to find out why students felt they needed my permission before proceeding with learning. I wanted them to think more deeply about the structure of school and learning as it exists today.
I began with this,
" _______________, I noticed yesterday that you felt you needed permission from me to work with a partner for independent inquiry. Why?"
"Because that's what you have to do in school."
"Why?"
"So you won't get in trouble."
"Why?"
and so on until we broke down some of their ideas about school and learning. They really began to see that their idea of school has been constructed based on their experiences and that it is possible to construct a different model. In fact, some of my students are now beginning to speak using the phrases, "in that model of learning" "in this model of learning". Once we had this discussion, I noticed a change in tone of voice and demeanor. Students realized they were in charge. The highlight for me was when a student said, "Mrs. Siwak I'm informing you that I will be in the computer lab." ... to which I replied, "Thanks for letting me know." What a shift!
In our school we have a very flexible and accommodating staff. We make use of each other's classrooms and if there is a free computer available somewhere else in the school, learners are welcome. I was so pleased that this student finally recognized that if he was in charge of his own learning, it was his responsibility to figure out a work plan, to communicate this to me and then to get on with the job.
I also took time today to address the question that had come up several times, "How on earth are you going to mark this?" I handed students a copy of the Learning Skills from our report cards.
I began with this,
" _______________, I noticed yesterday that you felt you needed permission from me to work with a partner for independent inquiry. Why?"
"Because that's what you have to do in school."
"Why?"
"So you won't get in trouble."
"Why?"
and so on until we broke down some of their ideas about school and learning. They really began to see that their idea of school has been constructed based on their experiences and that it is possible to construct a different model. In fact, some of my students are now beginning to speak using the phrases, "in that model of learning" "in this model of learning". Once we had this discussion, I noticed a change in tone of voice and demeanor. Students realized they were in charge. The highlight for me was when a student said, "Mrs. Siwak I'm informing you that I will be in the computer lab." ... to which I replied, "Thanks for letting me know." What a shift!
In our school we have a very flexible and accommodating staff. We make use of each other's classrooms and if there is a free computer available somewhere else in the school, learners are welcome. I was so pleased that this student finally recognized that if he was in charge of his own learning, it was his responsibility to figure out a work plan, to communicate this to me and then to get on with the job.
I also took time today to address the question that had come up several times, "How on earth are you going to mark this?" I handed students a copy of the Learning Skills from our report cards.
They were asked to consider and explain in their journals, how independent learning supports the development of learning skills. It didn't take them long to realize that even though everyone is working on something different, skills are being developed. Our next step will be to self-select areas for growth.


No comments:
Post a Comment
Heidi invites you to comment on your attempts to transform your teaching practice.