This is a follow up to the previous post.
Students were asked to do the following:
1. Create a chart that shows the following information for each person:
a. What is salient to each person about devices in school.
b. 2 assumptions that each person has made about devices.
c. Information that each person ignores, fails to understand or does not consider salient.
I do not distribute graphic organizers for these types of activities right away. I first ask students to break apart the question and determine on their own how to organize information. This is for two reasons: 1. students can develop systems that work for them. 2. it allows me to see who needs more support with planning skills.
Today we took time to discuss how they had approached creating their charts. I then placed this organizer under the document camera to model how I would approach this kind of a question. We also discussed the differences between ignoring information, not understanding information and not considering information salient. Students then continued working.
As mentioned previously, this is preparation for working with Opposable Models. Students need to practise understanding fully someone's point of view and how that point of view is formed. They also need to be able to recognize how a p. of v. can be misinformed.
Principal
Salient:
Assumptions:
| ||
Ignores:
|
Doesn’t Understand:
|
Doesn’t Consider Salient:
|

No comments:
Post a Comment
Heidi invites you to comment on your attempts to transform your teaching practice.