Friday, January 13, 2012

Class 72's Thoughts on Media

We are using the Key Concepts of Media Literacy to think critically about messages.  I had said in a previous post that I would share pictures of some of  my students thoughts and insights.



















4 comments:

  1. I enjoyed reading your posts on media deconstruction - I like how you modeled critical thinking and how far your students could go.

    I had a similar unit of inquiry with my 4th graders some years ago and we would look into the bias hindered by media, and analyzed the power of the tricks media employs - from the manipulation of photos and videos to the presence OR absence of certain people/voices in the mainstream media.
    Thank you for sharing - examples of practice are always helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Cristina.
    Media deconstruction has to be one of the most powerful units to teach. It draws students in like no other. I'm glad you found this useful. In response to this series of posts @steventhefly sent this fabulous link on teaching students to develop good questions. http://www.hepg.org/hel/article/507#home

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Heidi (I read it sometime ago and retweeted it mself).
    We use inquiry since grade 1 - we have a Wonder Wall where all student questions are displayed. We go through all those stages - we eliminate the closed ("skinny") questions, focus on the open-ended ones ("fat") and pursue them individually.

    More inquiry tools that I collected in the past two years are here, on my wiki http://elemtechideas.wikispaces.com/Inquiry+%26+Thinking+Tools

    ReplyDelete

Heidi invites you to comment on your attempts to transform your teaching practice.

ShareThis

Creative Commons License
21 Century Classroom: The Amaryllis is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.
Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at http://heidisiwak.blogspot.com/.