I've accomplished a great deal since my decision to completely transform my teaching practice and bring it into the 21st century. Recently, I've been receiving recognition for my efforts which I have to admit has been lovely. Who doesn't like to hear, "Wow, great job!"? I have put in hundreds of hours outside of my work day to learn not just technology, but how educational processes are being reshaped. Recognition of this effort is satisfying.
People should know that when I began this process I could not in anyway be described as a "techie". Household luddite, would perhaps have been a more apt descriptor. In fact, no one is more astonished (and perhaps more grateful) than #reallygeekyspouse and my children at my decision to enter their world and the resultant transformation.
What I would like people to understand is that this is not a solo effort. None of what I'm accomplishing would be possible without a network of supportive and knowledgeable people willing to assist at the drop of a hat, provide technical assistance, engage in lengthy philosophical discussions about the nature of learning, cheer me on, make suggestions, point me in new directions, provide feedback, ask questions, share resources and ideas, fix things that don't work and do the hundreds of other little things that add up to my ability to keep moving forward. This network spans the globe.
I'd like to recognize some of this team.
First of all there is Jeremy Brooks, #reallygeekyspouse, who teaches networking technology at Humber College, has a passion and excitement for learning and is continuously sharing expertise that I then bring to my classroom. Jeremy was running a flipped classroom before flipped classroom became a word. He's developed barcoding systems that allow assessment in realtime. He devises game-based learning systems for his courses and he is constantly sourcing new technologies that enrich my program. His courses are fully integrated with mobile devices and he is recognized as an innovator at Humber College. When I expressed frustration at the lack of access to computers in my school, Jeremy scrounged up computers no longer in use and built a closed network in my classroom that was 100% reliable. Computers never ever crashed nor got viruses. It was Jeremy who lent us his iPhone on a regular basis throughout the app project and who has done hundreds of other things for my students.
Ian Chia with his breadth of knowledge has been essential to my transformation. As soon as I move to a new step of learning, Ian shares a wealth of resources to speed up the process. What's remarkable about this is that I have never met Ian in person. We do our collaborative work via the internet. Ian, of course, was instrumental to the app project. Along with Ian are Esa and Cynthia and several others who have remained in the background, but were key to the development of the app. Our app release, if you haven't heard, has been somewhat delayed as Ian has had to deal with the death of his father-in-law followed a few weeks later by serious illness for his mother-in-law which required moving her from another city to his own, followed by the flooding of his house. We at Dundas Central wish Ian and his family all the best.
Ian is part of a network of people from a vast array of fields, connected primarily through twitter who have an interest in education. I cannot thank this network enough. The constant sharing of expertise, informative links, ideas, resources, current research, feedback and camaraderie is transforming education globally. I am able to do what I do because of twitter. I still know many educators who have no true understanding of the power of twitter. I still hear ,"I don't want to read about what Ashton Krucher had for lunch," which reveals more than anything a digital divide. It's a divide between the leading edge that has moved past the standardized-test, teacher-directed learning model because technology allows us to do so and those still caught up in the top-down model of directed education where only 1 standard counts. Twitter enables the educational equivalent of the Arab-Spring. It is liberating. Twitter allows educators to regain the professionalism that has been stripped through the dark ages of standardized testing. I look forward to more and more educators joining us there.
Most of all though, I would like to mention my amazing colleagues at Dundas Central who quietly go about doing incredible work that doesn't always get recognized, but who've provided so much assistance. I am privileged to work at Dundas Central because of the exceptional people who inhabit the building - everyone from the students, to the caretaking staff to the administration shows a remarkable commitment to our school. Visitors remark upon it when they enter the building. They notice the level of engagement, the friendliness of the students and the welcoming atmosphere that our school generates. It's a nice place to be. My colleagues have been patient, supportive and encouraging even during my moments of chaos as I develop processes for this new model of learning. There are a few in particular that need mentioning because their efforts have been instrumental to my progress.
First of all, the students of Dundas Central. I think you are amazing. You have taught me so much and it is so wonderful to have a job where I look forward to going to work every day because I get to work with and learn from you.
Next, I must say thank-you to Matt Scheben. Matt has the technical expertise that I lack because he is a trained engineer with a background in computers. I can't tell you how amazing it is to have someone like that on staff as my go-to person. Matt will always make time to answer my questions or show how a particular technology works. It was Matt who showed a few of my students how to use Adobe Photoshop for the app project and taught me how to use Windows Movie Maker for our recent MindShareLearning video submission. Alongside Matt is Scott Varady who fixes things. Scott frequently is called upon to fix things such as the uncooperative projector in my room, and again is always willing to help, problem solve or lend pieces of equipment.
Cheryl takes care of my classroom and I owe her a huge thank you. She never, ever complains and my classroom is often a messy place. There are many works in progress and I am not someone who gravitates towards organized work spaces. So thanks Cheryl!
Pat Venus our learning resource teacher has developed the assistive technology program at the middle school level of our school. She has created a workable model that allows greater independence for students. She continues to experiment with technologies and approaches that will lead to greater student engagement. Her work makes our work easier. Thanks Pat.
Valerie Bennett, Jamie Bennett (not related) and Kelly Dunford have shown a level of encouragement and support for which I am truly grateful. Val listens endlessly, reads my posts and broadcasts what I am up to so it doesn't sit in the wings. Kelly and Jamie provide regular feedback and encouragement as I engage in learning experiments. They are supportive and kind and again, I am grateful.
Audrey Hensen is our Literacy Improvement Teacher and about to be our new vice-principal. I have worked very closely with Audrey and she has been a constant source of ideas and provider of feedback during the implementation of Flexible Groups and The Thinking Matrix.
Shelly Marrett is an exceptional educational assistant and I am lucky to have her in my room this year. Shelly makes things beautiful. It is she who creates the lovely displays in my classroom including hanging The Thinking Matrix using a plumbline and making our Constructed Teens have a powerful presence.
I must also thank my principal Barry Morlog who became a principal under a different model of education, but is entirely supportive of what I do even though he does not have a technical background. Our current vice-principal Jennifer George has been encouraging, supportive and has listened and allowed me the leeway I need to experiment to see what works. Thank you.
The thing is, every member of our staff is exceptional and contributes to our school in unique ways. I am working on a post to share just what each of them does that makes our school so unique and to recognize that the key to a successful school, is not just its ability to conduct guided-reading sessions or the Daily Five but to build a community where everyone's a learner. That is what we are building at Dundas Central. There are so many others deserving of mentions, but that would make this post ridiculously long.
What I'm hoping people take away from this post is that we are all cogs is this wheel of transformation and without all those cogs, the wheels would not be turning. It's not just me, it's you.
People should know that when I began this process I could not in anyway be described as a "techie". Household luddite, would perhaps have been a more apt descriptor. In fact, no one is more astonished (and perhaps more grateful) than #reallygeekyspouse and my children at my decision to enter their world and the resultant transformation.
What I would like people to understand is that this is not a solo effort. None of what I'm accomplishing would be possible without a network of supportive and knowledgeable people willing to assist at the drop of a hat, provide technical assistance, engage in lengthy philosophical discussions about the nature of learning, cheer me on, make suggestions, point me in new directions, provide feedback, ask questions, share resources and ideas, fix things that don't work and do the hundreds of other little things that add up to my ability to keep moving forward. This network spans the globe.
I'd like to recognize some of this team.
First of all there is Jeremy Brooks, #reallygeekyspouse, who teaches networking technology at Humber College, has a passion and excitement for learning and is continuously sharing expertise that I then bring to my classroom. Jeremy was running a flipped classroom before flipped classroom became a word. He's developed barcoding systems that allow assessment in realtime. He devises game-based learning systems for his courses and he is constantly sourcing new technologies that enrich my program. His courses are fully integrated with mobile devices and he is recognized as an innovator at Humber College. When I expressed frustration at the lack of access to computers in my school, Jeremy scrounged up computers no longer in use and built a closed network in my classroom that was 100% reliable. Computers never ever crashed nor got viruses. It was Jeremy who lent us his iPhone on a regular basis throughout the app project and who has done hundreds of other things for my students.
Ian Chia with his breadth of knowledge has been essential to my transformation. As soon as I move to a new step of learning, Ian shares a wealth of resources to speed up the process. What's remarkable about this is that I have never met Ian in person. We do our collaborative work via the internet. Ian, of course, was instrumental to the app project. Along with Ian are Esa and Cynthia and several others who have remained in the background, but were key to the development of the app. Our app release, if you haven't heard, has been somewhat delayed as Ian has had to deal with the death of his father-in-law followed a few weeks later by serious illness for his mother-in-law which required moving her from another city to his own, followed by the flooding of his house. We at Dundas Central wish Ian and his family all the best.
Ian is part of a network of people from a vast array of fields, connected primarily through twitter who have an interest in education. I cannot thank this network enough. The constant sharing of expertise, informative links, ideas, resources, current research, feedback and camaraderie is transforming education globally. I am able to do what I do because of twitter. I still know many educators who have no true understanding of the power of twitter. I still hear ,"I don't want to read about what Ashton Krucher had for lunch," which reveals more than anything a digital divide. It's a divide between the leading edge that has moved past the standardized-test, teacher-directed learning model because technology allows us to do so and those still caught up in the top-down model of directed education where only 1 standard counts. Twitter enables the educational equivalent of the Arab-Spring. It is liberating. Twitter allows educators to regain the professionalism that has been stripped through the dark ages of standardized testing. I look forward to more and more educators joining us there.
Most of all though, I would like to mention my amazing colleagues at Dundas Central who quietly go about doing incredible work that doesn't always get recognized, but who've provided so much assistance. I am privileged to work at Dundas Central because of the exceptional people who inhabit the building - everyone from the students, to the caretaking staff to the administration shows a remarkable commitment to our school. Visitors remark upon it when they enter the building. They notice the level of engagement, the friendliness of the students and the welcoming atmosphere that our school generates. It's a nice place to be. My colleagues have been patient, supportive and encouraging even during my moments of chaos as I develop processes for this new model of learning. There are a few in particular that need mentioning because their efforts have been instrumental to my progress.
First of all, the students of Dundas Central. I think you are amazing. You have taught me so much and it is so wonderful to have a job where I look forward to going to work every day because I get to work with and learn from you.
Next, I must say thank-you to Matt Scheben. Matt has the technical expertise that I lack because he is a trained engineer with a background in computers. I can't tell you how amazing it is to have someone like that on staff as my go-to person. Matt will always make time to answer my questions or show how a particular technology works. It was Matt who showed a few of my students how to use Adobe Photoshop for the app project and taught me how to use Windows Movie Maker for our recent MindShareLearning video submission. Alongside Matt is Scott Varady who fixes things. Scott frequently is called upon to fix things such as the uncooperative projector in my room, and again is always willing to help, problem solve or lend pieces of equipment.
Cheryl takes care of my classroom and I owe her a huge thank you. She never, ever complains and my classroom is often a messy place. There are many works in progress and I am not someone who gravitates towards organized work spaces. So thanks Cheryl!
Pat Venus our learning resource teacher has developed the assistive technology program at the middle school level of our school. She has created a workable model that allows greater independence for students. She continues to experiment with technologies and approaches that will lead to greater student engagement. Her work makes our work easier. Thanks Pat.
Valerie Bennett, Jamie Bennett (not related) and Kelly Dunford have shown a level of encouragement and support for which I am truly grateful. Val listens endlessly, reads my posts and broadcasts what I am up to so it doesn't sit in the wings. Kelly and Jamie provide regular feedback and encouragement as I engage in learning experiments. They are supportive and kind and again, I am grateful.
Audrey Hensen is our Literacy Improvement Teacher and about to be our new vice-principal. I have worked very closely with Audrey and she has been a constant source of ideas and provider of feedback during the implementation of Flexible Groups and The Thinking Matrix.
Shelly Marrett is an exceptional educational assistant and I am lucky to have her in my room this year. Shelly makes things beautiful. It is she who creates the lovely displays in my classroom including hanging The Thinking Matrix using a plumbline and making our Constructed Teens have a powerful presence.
I must also thank my principal Barry Morlog who became a principal under a different model of education, but is entirely supportive of what I do even though he does not have a technical background. Our current vice-principal Jennifer George has been encouraging, supportive and has listened and allowed me the leeway I need to experiment to see what works. Thank you.
The thing is, every member of our staff is exceptional and contributes to our school in unique ways. I am working on a post to share just what each of them does that makes our school so unique and to recognize that the key to a successful school, is not just its ability to conduct guided-reading sessions or the Daily Five but to build a community where everyone's a learner. That is what we are building at Dundas Central. There are so many others deserving of mentions, but that would make this post ridiculously long.
What I'm hoping people take away from this post is that we are all cogs is this wheel of transformation and without all those cogs, the wheels would not be turning. It's not just me, it's you.

No comments:
Post a Comment
Heidi invites you to comment on your attempts to transform your teaching practice.