Saturday, January 21, 2012

The Uncollege: True Learning or Oprah Winfrey's Book Club?

I've been following the progress of the Uncollege over the past year with great interest.  It is causing me to consider the place and function of higher education and specifically universities in our culture. I remain torn.  While in theory I like the idea of the Uncollege, who doesn't enjoy a little rebellion - I would even describe myself as a rebellious teacher; I don't follow procedure well - I see pitfalls in this approach to learning.

For those not yet familiar, here's a synopsis of the Uncollege Manifesto.

What is UnCollege?
“You wasted $150,000 on an education you coulda got for a buck fifty in late charges at the public library.” – Will Hunting
UnCollege is a social movement designed to help you hack your education.  This manifesto will show you how to gain the passion, hustle, and contrarianism requisite for success — all without setting foot inside a classroom.


I suppose what bothers me is the potential for arrogance.  The dismissal of highly educated people with
specialized knowledge who have spent decades developing expertise in their fields cannot serve us well in the long run.  The idea that credentials no longer have value and that any fool can fumble his way through the library and gain the same level of competency and knowledge smacks of hubris.  Also, the lack of peer review of one's growing knowledge base could lead to unnecessary errors in thinking or worse confirmation bias.

I suppose what bothers me is the assumption that students in university are not self-directed learners.  The reality is that, particularly in the sciences, students must spend long hours studying, engaging in discussion and teaching themselves in order to progress.  I watch my own daughter, a highly disciplined self-directed learner who spends hours with her science and math textbooks practising and mastering concepts.  These are not concepts that she would have necessarily chosen to explore unless directed to by the requirements of her course. Nonetheless they are knowledge prerequisites for her entry into vet school. Solid understanding of biology, biochemistry, mathematics and physics will ultimately lead to her being more knowledgeable in her field.

This week I had a look at the suggested reading list for the Uncollege: http://www.uncollege.org/reading-list    The list represents an introduction to current and popular ideas of the moment.  It is the equivalent of the Grand Tour. It provides introductory information but does not represent in depth learning. One visits Athens, sees the Parthenon and has a better understanding of Ancient Greece, but one is in no way a master of Greek History.  That takes time, effort, persistence and surrounding oneself with those knowledgeable in the field of Greek History.  Reading Brain Rules is not going to make you a Neuroscientist. That's going to come from years of dedicated study using expensive equipment and that equipment is going to be found in a university.  No scientist is going to allow an unproven, self-taught learner passionate about brains to fool around with her million dollar equipment or someone's brain for that matter.

Are the books worth reading?  Absolutely. I have read many of them and found their information and insights invaluable, but I don't see them as equivalent to entering into university education.

The idea that so many people who pursued university education find themselves unemployed, therefore university education is not worthwhile is also a false argument.  The current unemployment situation is a result of economic collapse due to poor government oversight and an out-of-control financial system.  Had regulation and oversight been in place, these graduates would find themselves in a functioning economy with employment to be had.  Education is always of value, whether it leads to employment or not.

Finally, allowing an untried 18 year old who has not attended university determine the value of a university education and attempt to influence others on that value just seems, well, foolish.

That being said, I do see merit in what the Uncollege is trying to accomplish and that is why I am torn.
Where I do agree with the Uncollege is that there are many paths to learning, that not all people are cut out for university and that there needs to be a way of recognizing learning that takes place outside of university.  Universities should not hold a monopoly on learning. Limiting access to knowledge to an exclusive group  who can afford the fees and are lucky enough to live within the national boundaries of the institutions just seems wrong in this day and age. I also agree that university is ridiculously overpriced and that many students are pursuing programs but don't really know why they are in them except that they've been told they should go to university. Guidance at the high school level is poor. Overcrowded classrooms with inaccessible professors in the degree mills that universities have become are not serving us well.  Finally teaching methods do need to be revamped. Recent technological developments present an unprecedented opportunity to reshape what it means to be and educator and learner in the 21st century.

Change is desperately needed and I appreciate the Uncollege's challenge to the status quo.  New technologies mean upheaval and higher education is in the process of being restructured.  We need to be careful that in this restructuring we don't abandon the parts that enrich learning and advance us as a civilization.










No comments:

Post a Comment

Heidi invites you to comment on your attempts to transform your teaching practice.

ShareThis

Creative Commons License
21 Century Classroom: The Amaryllis is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.
Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at http://heidisiwak.blogspot.com/.