Heidi Siwak (@HeidiSiwak) 11-02-24 5:32 PM We are going live. Internet tv comes to my classroom. #edchat#edtech Mrs Siwak i cant seem to access the video part of the website so i can see how we did after we have produced the broadcasts so if you could get back to me on that one as soon as possible at (school) or reply back thank you. on We are Going Live!
That was it. That was the moment that my life as a teacher changed forever. A student used social media to track me down outside of school hours in order to seek assistance. I remember staring at that comment on my blog and wondering what on earth I should do. After careful reflection I decided that ultimately we are all learners and that if this was anyone else but one of my students, I would immediately reply if I knew I could help. So I did and in making that decision, my practice changed forever.
Since that time I've become completely comfortable using social media to engage in learning related conversations with my students. My students are becoming active and intelligent users of social media and are much more aware of creating positive digital footprints. Because we are working in this space together, I am able to point out risky practice.
I was reflecting with one of the more active users of social media on just how many conversations we've had over the past year and the broad range of discussion topics: JFK, the death of Jack Layton, learning and then sharing what you've learned, building a network, the deaths of Steve Jobs, Kim Jong Il and Havel, funeral etiquette, 911, conspiracy theories and more recently Paris 1919 and how decisions made at that conference were a factor in 911.
Students are now sharing with me curriculum related links , digital media creations and they're asking questions at the moment they have them. If I see their questions, I answer right away as long as it's convenient. Teaching and learning have changed forever and I am grateful that my students pushed for this. Because of social media education is becoming less institutional and more human.
That was it. That was the moment that my life as a teacher changed forever. A student used social media to track me down outside of school hours in order to seek assistance. I remember staring at that comment on my blog and wondering what on earth I should do. After careful reflection I decided that ultimately we are all learners and that if this was anyone else but one of my students, I would immediately reply if I knew I could help. So I did and in making that decision, my practice changed forever.
Since that time I've become completely comfortable using social media to engage in learning related conversations with my students. My students are becoming active and intelligent users of social media and are much more aware of creating positive digital footprints. Because we are working in this space together, I am able to point out risky practice.
I was reflecting with one of the more active users of social media on just how many conversations we've had over the past year and the broad range of discussion topics: JFK, the death of Jack Layton, learning and then sharing what you've learned, building a network, the deaths of Steve Jobs, Kim Jong Il and Havel, funeral etiquette, 911, conspiracy theories and more recently Paris 1919 and how decisions made at that conference were a factor in 911.
Students are now sharing with me curriculum related links , digital media creations and they're asking questions at the moment they have them. If I see their questions, I answer right away as long as it's convenient. Teaching and learning have changed forever and I am grateful that my students pushed for this. Because of social media education is becoming less institutional and more human.

Students as curriculum creators and leaders! This is the absolute ideal!
ReplyDeleteHi Marialice,
ReplyDeleteAgreed!