Saturday, September 28, 2013

Art as Inquiry: Lessons in Persistence

Thank you Lisa Robson, for the activities and suggestions that made this a fabulous inquiry!


I realized this month just how dramatically my teaching practice has changed when confronted with the reality that I must now teach Art to my grade 6 students.  At Dundas Central we have had the luxury of a subject specialist teaching Art and Drama to middle school students for many years, but our staffing was reduced this year and that has had an impact on programming. Hence ... me ... Art Teacher. It's not that I haven't had to teach Art in the past, but it has been a long time and my art lessons then were more like weekly craft lessons. Students followed instructions to complete an activity, many of which turned out quite beautifully, however,  I wouldn't say that there was any enduring understanding or insight gained by those students.

Our fist day began with a discussion - How do you feel about Art as a subject? This is something that would never have occurred to me to ask in the past and marks a clear shift in practice - trying to diagnose not just skill levels, but attitudes and possible barriers to fully engaging with a subject.

There was a range of attitudes. Many students love Art. Many students find Art a frustrating subject. When students expressed dislike for the subject, I countered with "Tell me more" - that simple but useful phrase I learned to use from the work we have been doing with Integrative Thinking - that helps students think more deeply and clarify thoughts without my coming to conclusions and interpreting their thoughts for them. They eventually figured out that the reason why they don't like the subject is not just because they are not good at it, but because they begin with an idea in their heads and become frustrated when their works of Art look nothing like what they had visualized. This helped me begin to think about how I might facilitate their learning.

Setting that discovery aside for the moment, we began with the introductory lesson: Types of Line. I asked students to think about different types of line and draw them on the board which they did with enthusiasm. I then posted a Types of Line sheet, similar to this, and students had to fill a grid with different line designs.




When we came back together next Art class we again began with a discussion, "What is it that actually causes Art to look bad?" We figured out that at a certain point students begin to lose focus and rush in order to finish. Students examined their efforts and those of their peers with a critical eye to try to see where they had lost focus. I introduced them to the idea of persistence and asked them what would happen if they slowed down, maintained concentration to the end of an activity, and persisted when things became difficult. We decided to find out. I gave them a simple line design task that another teacher, Kelly Dunford, had found on Pinterest, and asked them to concentrate and persist. First however, we talked about tracing hands and how difficult it is to trace a hand. Students had to figure out independently how to hold a pencil in order to get an accurate tracing. This took some time for many of them. Once they were satisfied, they attempted to create a line design that makes the hand look 3-D.




From this students discovered that focus, reduced speed and persistence are key to producing quality pieces of art.

Next students used this discovery to create a line design of their names (picture to be added)  applying what they had learned. It was delightful to watch their commitment to producing quality work and to see their sense of satisfaction when the finished products were put on the board. They were proud of what they had accomplished.

We were not yet finished with line though. We shifted our learning to how artists use line. Thank you, Rodriguez Art, for uploading this Slideshare so I didn't have to create this myself!






Element of Art - Line from RodriguezArt

We had great fun discussing the lines and  I asked students to see if they could use their learning to create a picture using line. The goal was not to produce a quality piece of art, but to experiment. This immediately reduced the risk factor and allowed students to enter into the pleasure of drawing. Many students discovered that they could actually draw. (note, I have not drawn or modeled anything up to this point).

One student used pencil to draw a skyscraper with looming clouds and rain coming down to represent how he feels in a large city, which provided me with the idea of looking at skycraper paintings. Thank you google images. We scrolled through the paintings and began to see the many different ways artists use line to create completely different effects. This was eye-opening to my students, that just with line they could actually create mood and suggest movement.

There is so much more I could write about that occurred during this inquiry.  Below are 3 things that stand out for me.

1.  The number of students who said, "I never used to think about line and now I see lines everywhere."

2. The number of reluctant artists who are now asking if they can have time to draw and coming to discuss their ideas about what they would like to draw next.

3. Our librarian mentioned a conversation she had with some of my grade 6 students about what we are doing in class. They told her that they are learning about persistence and concentration.







5 comments:

  1. Heidi, I love this post because you are not just "doing Art" or with your students you are actually "teaching art", which can be such a challenge for those of us who don't have an Art background. With the help of YouTube though, there are no excuses. It bothers me when in the class, every student's final product looks exactly the same. Is that Art? I don't think so. Students should understand that Art is another form of communication. We wouldn't want everyone's narratives to be identical, therefore we wouldn't want everyone's artwork to look the same. To me the process for creating Art should be the same for any medium: We brainstorm, we draft, we revise, we edit, we publish. And that is not a linear process because along that pathway we elicit feedback from our peers and teacher and make adjustments accordingly. Teaching elements of style is no different whether it be in Media, Writing, or Art - the elements need to be explicitly taught so that our students can make decisions about how best to use those elements to create their intended message for the intended audience.
    Thanks for reminding us how it can be done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Heidi Siwak for the post. My name is Kayla Christie, and I am a student in the EDM310 class at the University of South Alabama. I really enjoyed reading your post, because I love art and know how many students get frustrated with it. It was a great idea to change the concept of "creating a piece of art" to "experimenting." This takes pressure and stress off the student. I really enjoyed how through active learning, the students were able to figure out what it is that causes art to look bad. Persistence, slowing down, and focus are a key to doing almost anything 100%. Feel free to look at my blog and my class blog.


    Kayla Christie's EDM310 Blog

    EDM310 Class Blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lorraine, thank you so much for your thoughtful and useful comments. Thinking of Art as a form of communication makes explicit why we don't want learners to end up with identical products. That was helpful. I am always very grateful when a colleague builds on my initial idea and helps me see what I am doing in a deeper and more meaningful way. Appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heidi I also use line as a starting point in my grade 8 art class. I really have enjoyed looking through your blog and have some new ideas to try in my classroom I have attached my blog site though it is more of just a look at examples from my art class. When I look at art we discuss the feelings that are attributed to certain lines then students create a chalk pastel resist where they create a line with a feeling in chalk on construction paper then choose colours connected to that feeling and colour with oil pastels around the chalk lines. Once entirely coloured they wash the chalk off their art and are left with the imprint of that feeling. On the back they discuss why they chose that feeling and name the piece like an artist would. If you would like to check it out http://771249121202061821.weebly.com/lines-have-feelings.html however by blog is not as deeply as in depth as yours. Thank you for sharing your wonderful ideas

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for your comments. I just had a look at your blog - wow! Their work is outstanding. Thank you so much for adding the link. I would love to see how you teach your art lessons - I suspect that you are not making it up as you go along the way I am!

    ReplyDelete

Heidi invites you to comment on your attempts to transform your teaching practice.

ShareThis

Creative Commons License
21 Century Classroom: The Amaryllis is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.
Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at http://heidisiwak.blogspot.com/.