It was a great pleasure to find that I had been invited to present at RSCON4 a global, free online conference where educators - those in the trenches - from around the world share their innovative practices. The conference takes place from from October 11 - 13 and the sessions look fabulous.
I have a soft spot for Reform Symposium. When Web 2.0 was an incredibly new and exciting world and we were discovering the power of being globally connected educators, it was at RSCON2 that I presented my first ever online session. I don't think I even had a proper microphone at the time, but I remember being awed when people actually show up, some from other continents, to hear me. I have come a long way since then and I feel a depth of gratitude towards every single person, platform and forum that has allowed me to reinvent my practice. Being globally connected is an incredible gift that has provided benefits that go well beyond my role as an educator.
I have learned a great deal since then. When I first presented, my education world was all about the technology and the potential it offered for creating truly meaningful learning environments. I saw first hand the positive impact Web 2.0 tools had on my students and was enamored by its glittery offerings. I have since then developed a more tempered view. 3rd party collection of student data; privacy rights and concern about the long term impact on students of having their opinions on controversial topics being permanently recorded has caused me to be more circumspect in how I use these wonderful tools within my classroom.
More than that though, I have come to realize that it is in constructing a learning environment where deep thinking occurs - with or without online tools - that the richness lies. My practice, advanced by the work my students and I have been doing as we explore Inquiry and Integrative Thinking has provided me with a deeper understanding of what it means to facilitate learning and it is that that I wish to share with you during my RSCON4 presentation. I hope you can join me.
I have a soft spot for Reform Symposium. When Web 2.0 was an incredibly new and exciting world and we were discovering the power of being globally connected educators, it was at RSCON2 that I presented my first ever online session. I don't think I even had a proper microphone at the time, but I remember being awed when people actually show up, some from other continents, to hear me. I have come a long way since then and I feel a depth of gratitude towards every single person, platform and forum that has allowed me to reinvent my practice. Being globally connected is an incredible gift that has provided benefits that go well beyond my role as an educator.
I have learned a great deal since then. When I first presented, my education world was all about the technology and the potential it offered for creating truly meaningful learning environments. I saw first hand the positive impact Web 2.0 tools had on my students and was enamored by its glittery offerings. I have since then developed a more tempered view. 3rd party collection of student data; privacy rights and concern about the long term impact on students of having their opinions on controversial topics being permanently recorded has caused me to be more circumspect in how I use these wonderful tools within my classroom.
More than that though, I have come to realize that it is in constructing a learning environment where deep thinking occurs - with or without online tools - that the richness lies. My practice, advanced by the work my students and I have been doing as we explore Inquiry and Integrative Thinking has provided me with a deeper understanding of what it means to facilitate learning and it is that that I wish to share with you during my RSCON4 presentation. I hope you can join me.

No comments:
Post a Comment
Heidi invites you to comment on your attempts to transform your teaching practice.