Our Inquiry Working Group Meets for the First Time
One of the common social media themes in the world of education is a repeated call for self-directed PD.
While I still feel there is a place for mandated professional development - who would voluntarily seek WHMS training after all - I am one of those advocates. Most of my professional development over the past few years has centered on opportunities that have arisen through the extensive sharing that occurs in social media. I see the value. I also know, however, that the face to face dialogue and sharing of practice that I've experienced through events such as EdcampHamilton, Everybody is a Teacher (if you haven't attended an educational event run by Jennifer Chan you are missing out) and through the work I am doing with Rotman
I-Think, have left me wanting more than what the realms of twitter and blogging can provide. After three years of delving ever more deeply into inquiry-based learning, I was looking for a way to share in a more meaningful way what happens in my classroom and to learn and see how others are developing inquiry in their practices.
As I mulled over what I was looking for, I knew it wasn't an AQ course. What I wanted was a working group - people passionate and dedicated to learning more about inquiry who want to meet regularly to share and learn. I wanted the value of the Edcamp model, but I wanted more than just one day. So I created the Inquiry Working Group and invited others to join me on a new journey.
Today was our first meeting. 15 people were present. This included a Principal, Vice-Principal, Teachers, and Instructional Coaches. Most were from my own board, but one person drove 50 minutes after a day of teaching so he could participate. One person is on a 4/5 leave, but still chose to be a part of our group. There was no agenda, no powerpoint, no handouts, just conversation and sharing of ideas, practice and questions. The discussion was stimulating and valuable. The hierarchy was absent. Having a principal present and asking, :How do I support and develop this kind of risk-taking in my own school?" was refreshing. Some of the members are new to inquiry; some are already well under way. It was exciting and energizing and I am already looking forward to our next meeting. We've decided to meet monthly.
My change in practice take away came from Tonya. When she is conducting large class lessons, students are free to write their questions on sticky notes - many of us do this. Tanya's twist, however, is the Question Board. All questions are posted on the board and discussed. Students who are intrigued by other students' questions are free to take them and explore them more deeply. Clever!
I also came away with a book recommendation from Rick: Role Reversal
It was the pleasure of meeting with truly interested people and knowing that this will continue that brings the most satisfaction.
Our next meeting will take place in my classroom, but then we've decided to take our meetings on the road - to hold them in members' classrooms and schools so we have the opportunity to see a variety of set-ups.
This doesn't feel like work!
One of the common social media themes in the world of education is a repeated call for self-directed PD.
While I still feel there is a place for mandated professional development - who would voluntarily seek WHMS training after all - I am one of those advocates. Most of my professional development over the past few years has centered on opportunities that have arisen through the extensive sharing that occurs in social media. I see the value. I also know, however, that the face to face dialogue and sharing of practice that I've experienced through events such as EdcampHamilton, Everybody is a Teacher (if you haven't attended an educational event run by Jennifer Chan you are missing out) and through the work I am doing with Rotman
I-Think, have left me wanting more than what the realms of twitter and blogging can provide. After three years of delving ever more deeply into inquiry-based learning, I was looking for a way to share in a more meaningful way what happens in my classroom and to learn and see how others are developing inquiry in their practices.
As I mulled over what I was looking for, I knew it wasn't an AQ course. What I wanted was a working group - people passionate and dedicated to learning more about inquiry who want to meet regularly to share and learn. I wanted the value of the Edcamp model, but I wanted more than just one day. So I created the Inquiry Working Group and invited others to join me on a new journey.
Today was our first meeting. 15 people were present. This included a Principal, Vice-Principal, Teachers, and Instructional Coaches. Most were from my own board, but one person drove 50 minutes after a day of teaching so he could participate. One person is on a 4/5 leave, but still chose to be a part of our group. There was no agenda, no powerpoint, no handouts, just conversation and sharing of ideas, practice and questions. The discussion was stimulating and valuable. The hierarchy was absent. Having a principal present and asking, :How do I support and develop this kind of risk-taking in my own school?" was refreshing. Some of the members are new to inquiry; some are already well under way. It was exciting and energizing and I am already looking forward to our next meeting. We've decided to meet monthly.
My change in practice take away came from Tonya. When she is conducting large class lessons, students are free to write their questions on sticky notes - many of us do this. Tanya's twist, however, is the Question Board. All questions are posted on the board and discussed. Students who are intrigued by other students' questions are free to take them and explore them more deeply. Clever!
I also came away with a book recommendation from Rick: Role Reversal
It was the pleasure of meeting with truly interested people and knowing that this will continue that brings the most satisfaction.
Our next meeting will take place in my classroom, but then we've decided to take our meetings on the road - to hold them in members' classrooms and schools so we have the opportunity to see a variety of set-ups.
This doesn't feel like work!

No comments:
Post a Comment
Heidi invites you to comment on your attempts to transform your teaching practice.