Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Our Inquiry is Well Underway

Class 62 is deeply into their inquiry.  Knowing that they must present their information in relation to our essential question is giving much greater focus to their research than a traditional project would.

Of course, there is now free movement in the classroom. Students are in small groups, with partners or working individually. Laptops and computers are on. As well, students head to the computer lab when needed.

I move from group to group to observe, comment, ask questions and make suggestions. As students show me their information, I prompt them to think about the interactive museum. What could be turned into multimedia? What might someone make while visiting the museum? How will the information be displayed? As students read and gather information, they are deciding which information to include.
Knowing that they will each have a iPad2 available has opened new possibilities and as they continue researching they are beginning to discuss options and ideas.  Students are also thinking about how to include QR Code displays.Students are also choosing tools appropriate to their needs. Some groups have set up google docs, some are working in Animoto and powerpoint, some are marking books with sticky notes.

The atmosphere is relaxed, quiet and focussed. A great deal of content is being learned. There is frequent sharing of information. It is expected that as we progress, students are keeping track of their process on the accountability sheets.





3 students create google doc to gather research efficiently

Keeping track of who did what

1 student in the class who is strong in data management created  graphs from class survey of background knowledge

2 comments:

  1. Heidi I am so thrilled to read about your class exploring and learning! They seem to have wonderful ideas and thoughts and they know how to organize them! As I was reading I seen where your class is getting iPad's! Sounds wonderful! I think your children will really enjoy using the iPad and apps available for their projects! Please keep us posted on the "museum displays"!

    Heather ")

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds wonderful! In this blog post you have displayed a excessive amount of technology in the classroom. What makes it even better is that each student is facilitating their learning through technology. Thanks for sharing the photos. I'm sure that the students are ecstatic about soon having an iPad to work with. I think that iPads are a great asset in the classroom. I've been doing a little research on all the app's that can be used. I would love to know which one's your students found to be beneficial during this project. I am eager to see the final results of the museum display project.

    Jami

    ReplyDelete

Heidi invites you to comment on your attempts to transform your teaching practice.

ShareThis

Creative Commons License
21 Century Classroom: The Amaryllis is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.
Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at http://heidisiwak.blogspot.com/.