Once, I attended a workshop that was meant to demonstrate a model of participant-led discussion. Seating was arranged in a circle to allow full viewing of all participants. On the surface, the session had the physical appearance of this new model of learning except for one key element - the facilitator chose a seating position that said "power and control". She sat in a relaxed position on top of a table which placed her above the rest of us.
The facilitator had done a great deal of work before we arrived. She had predetermined topics for discussion, devised questions for us to think about and had a plan to manage the flow of conversation. She had done what teachers are trained to do. At no point were we asked what our questions were nor what we felt was important to discuss. There was no need for our input; the facilitator had done her lesson planning and already had a full agenda timed to the minute. And so the knowledge, expertise and insights of participants remained hidden.
The session began. The facilitator introduced the first topic and then identified what she felt was important. We then went round the room and dutifully added our ideas to that topic. We spoke one at a time and everyone had a turn. Having attended true open space events where dynamic, thought-provoking non-stop passionate conversation occurs, I became increasingly frustrated and then completely fascinated, because this facilitator was doing what teachers do a million times a day across the world. And now I know what causes students to disengage.
Most participants remained silent unless asked to speak. The few times free and open discussion began, it was promptly ended by the facilitator because we had to move to the next topic on the agenda. Conversation was filtered through the person with the power and control. Participants were polite and contributed at a superficial level. We played along with the game of school. People around me began checking their emails, playing video games and reading their twitter feeds.
What should have been a rich and dynamic experience went flat. We who had entered the room eager to participate in a full and open conversation about the topic slowly fell silent. Well, not exactly silent. There were a few attempts to seize control by participants, but the facilitator did her job and made sure we stuck to the Lesson Plan. We resigned ourselves to voicelessness and polite participation - a few people spoke but not with any real depth or insight.
I felt trapped. I wanted to leave. I wanted to disrupt. It was one of the richest learning experiences I've ever had because it opened my eyes and made me see clearly why students disengage. They're stuck in benevolent dictatorships.
Reflecting on my own evolution as an educator, I know I have structured lessons in this way. I've had students shut down. Conversation and learning have ground to a halt. Eyes have glanced at the clock. I also know there is an alternative. It is why I encourage everyone to experience at least once, an unconference, Edcamp, bar camp or Open Space model. It is possible to completely release control of the process and when one does, magic happens.
The facilitator had done a great deal of work before we arrived. She had predetermined topics for discussion, devised questions for us to think about and had a plan to manage the flow of conversation. She had done what teachers are trained to do. At no point were we asked what our questions were nor what we felt was important to discuss. There was no need for our input; the facilitator had done her lesson planning and already had a full agenda timed to the minute. And so the knowledge, expertise and insights of participants remained hidden.
The session began. The facilitator introduced the first topic and then identified what she felt was important. We then went round the room and dutifully added our ideas to that topic. We spoke one at a time and everyone had a turn. Having attended true open space events where dynamic, thought-provoking non-stop passionate conversation occurs, I became increasingly frustrated and then completely fascinated, because this facilitator was doing what teachers do a million times a day across the world. And now I know what causes students to disengage.
Most participants remained silent unless asked to speak. The few times free and open discussion began, it was promptly ended by the facilitator because we had to move to the next topic on the agenda. Conversation was filtered through the person with the power and control. Participants were polite and contributed at a superficial level. We played along with the game of school. People around me began checking their emails, playing video games and reading their twitter feeds.
What should have been a rich and dynamic experience went flat. We who had entered the room eager to participate in a full and open conversation about the topic slowly fell silent. Well, not exactly silent. There were a few attempts to seize control by participants, but the facilitator did her job and made sure we stuck to the Lesson Plan. We resigned ourselves to voicelessness and polite participation - a few people spoke but not with any real depth or insight.
I felt trapped. I wanted to leave. I wanted to disrupt. It was one of the richest learning experiences I've ever had because it opened my eyes and made me see clearly why students disengage. They're stuck in benevolent dictatorships.
Reflecting on my own evolution as an educator, I know I have structured lessons in this way. I've had students shut down. Conversation and learning have ground to a halt. Eyes have glanced at the clock. I also know there is an alternative. It is why I encourage everyone to experience at least once, an unconference, Edcamp, bar camp or Open Space model. It is possible to completely release control of the process and when one does, magic happens.

Why didn't you leave Heidi? If it was an open conference, you can get up and go if it's not meeting your needs.
ReplyDeleteI've been to a few of these sessions before when people just end up putting a presentation on the screen and sit up at the front lecturing. That's why when I facilitate at these kinds of sessions I sit in a seat that is level with everyone else and is not right at the front of the room. I do try to use a Google Doc so that everyone can share ideas and make comments and share resources. I usually add in a few areas people might want to talk about to gauge interest and try to get the conversation started as the job is still to facilitate in a way that people feel like they each get a chance to speak. I also find the Google Doc helps people from feeling left out as they can write on the doc at any time and steer the conversation in what ever direction the group chooses. It's also great for people who want to contribute but not necessarily want to say something in front of the group. There have been a couple of occasions when participants didn't quite understand the purpose of the Google Doc or that you could turn it into a social tool, but I'm assuming that's because they don't have the experience with it yet. Usually if they watch how the others are using it, they'll understand how it helps make the conversation more democratic and they'll even have a note of the session to take home with them.
If you see this person again, maybe you could kindly suggest they try a Google Doc with comments. The comments actually work as a back channel to get discussion flowing too.
Thanks for your comments. I realized at this event that for the law of two feet to be successful, layout and design of space is key. Walking should not require disruption of the conversation. Participants need to be able to move to and from conversations with ease. Unfortunately, the way the room had been set up prevented eased of movement.
DeleteDefinitely a fascinating post. The part about the participants not knowing the agenda or the questions thus being denied the ownership of the discussion was an interesting point. Made me think about how much power I give my students by being transparent with my lesson plans. Thanks for a great post.
ReplyDeleteHi Sarah,
ReplyDeleteThanks for your comments. I think it is very important for educators to experience the classroom from the student's point of view. We need those reminders.