Thursday, March 1, 2012

Building Knowledge by Building Relationships

When we began our First Nations Inquiry, I put a call out on twitter for assistance in developing our essential questions.  (See previous posts for our question) One of the many people who immediately responded was Jana Scott Lyndsay an educator who works with member of the Metis and First Nations community in Saskatchewan. Jana very kindly shared ideas, resource suggestions and links to assist our research.  She also agreed to Skype with Class 62.

Today was our first Skype session.  After overcoming a few technical difficulties our conversation began.  Jana brought Darryl Isbister to the session to offer his perspective.  My students and I have been struggling with the various terms:  Aboriginal, First Nations, Metis, Inuit, indigenous, clan, tribe - what do they actually mean and when and how do we use them appropriately?

Jana and Daryl were so helpful in clarifying what these words mean to them.  As neither are Inuit, they gave their understandings of the term, but suggested we go further in our research and speak directly with the Inuit community.  Students made notes and tomorrow we will discuss what we learned.  All of us walked away from that conversation excited and pleased by the experience.

Best of all Jana and Daryl see this as only the beginning of our conversation.  They will continue to meet with us as we move through our inquiry in order to help us learn.  The richness of this moment went well beyond what typically happens in a classroom when studying First Nations.  Once again, I am awed by the power of Web 2.0 tools to change everything about teaching and learning.

It was only after the conversation started that I thought of recording it, so the full interview is unavailable.  This is what we managed to get.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Mrs. Siwak, my name is Donte' Todd. I am currently enrolled in Dr. Strange's EDM 310 class at the University of South Alabama. I would like to say that I applaud your efforts to go far and beyond what some teachers call "the ususal". Haveing your students skype these educators from various areas has really influenced me to want to strive for the best when I become an educator. However, I have a question Mrs. Siwak. Where did you put on the internet that you needed another educator's help in this lessson? I only ask because I ,too, would like to follow in your footsteps and let my students expereince some lessons from teachers that know a little more about the subject then I. This post was very informative. Great Work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Donte,
    Thank you very much for your kind words. When I am looking to build a collaborative project the first place I go to is twitter. I begin developing a general idea of what I'd like to accomplish and then ask for feedback. I also build field related contacts. For example, because we are exploring First Nations, I began following those who post on the subject and check to see who they follow. I hope this helps .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent blog post Heidi!

    I did want to mention that while I have spent a considerable amount of my learning journey trying to better understand First Nations & Métis worldview and ways of knowing I do not belong to the Métis Nation. I am privileged to work with amazing colleagues in our First Nations & Métis Unit with my school division and continue to grow my understanding of the many nations that live within our province.

    It certainly was a wonderful experience connecting with your class and be able to share our experiences and understandings with them. I first started learning about the indigenous peoples in Saskatchewan as part of my own learning inquiry... I had so many questions about the First Peoples and wanted to know more about their cultures, beliefs, and communities. Many of my students have come from different First Nations in our province and I felt compelled to be open to share in their distinct worldviews, cultures, ways of knowing and connecting with our world.

    My journey continues to this day... as I challenge myself to "better know and appreciate the past, understand the present, and impact the future."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jana,
    Thank you for the clarification, I made changes to the post. Your support of myself and my class for this inquiry has been wonderful. Over the years we have had only a few First Nations students in our school so being able to link directly with those connected more closely to the FNIM communities has been enriching. We are looking forward to more Skype sessions.

    ReplyDelete

Heidi invites you to comment on your attempts to transform your teaching practice.

ShareThis

Creative Commons License
21 Century Classroom: The Amaryllis is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.
Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at http://heidisiwak.blogspot.com/.