Thursday, March 22, 2012

Becoming Curators: First Nations Inquiry

I'm learning as I refine the inquiry-based learning model how to structure in accountable talk (talk that is on topic and that involves high level critical thinking and discussion).  Today I put my grade 6 students through a simulation.  

We had a fabulous whole class discussion about exhibits and museum displays and what makes certain exhibits more engaging than others.

I then divided them into groups.
Each group was given a photocopied sheet of a particular element of First Nations culture: hunting, food, clothing, transportation, medicine ...
The groups were also given this: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1pwxyaShntz6cUL10PLWPtifcmmKk2RMlGRm6ttGH8BQ/edit a sheet on what to think about when planning an exhibit.
They then read the material with a purpose: how would they create an exhibit of this minitopic?

Students read, marked up the texts, drew, made notes, brainstormed, debated approaches, made decisions, bounced ideas off each other, sought feedback from others, asked questions of me and generally acted in ways that any exhibit planning team might act.  Of course, there were a few who needed reminders to focus, but overall I was thoroughly pleased by the quality of the talk.

The beauty of structuring an activity in this way is that I did no "teaching" of content and yet because the students had to read the text and make decisions about the material in the text, an inordinate amount of content was learned and shared with others during this process.

While students worked, I wandered from group to group, observed their planning skills and prompted where needed. I helped them refine understanding of what to think about when creating an exhibit. 

This was practice; every student now has a good understanding of the kind of thinking and discussion that needs to occur once they choose their inquiry topics within the boundaries of our First Nations unit. 

The students are thoroughly excited and can't wait to begin.  How lovely is that? 



3 comments:

  1. Heidi,
    My name is Heather and I am a student in EDM 310 , Dr. Strange's class, at The University of South Alabama. I think this is a wonderful way to allow students to work together and design something from scratch.I love the way that there were pretty much no instructions and students could think freely about all ideas and have the ability to go in all directions with the project.

    I will be following your blog and writing a summary on posts I comment on by April 1, 2012. If you would like to check it out you can do so on my blog .
    Thank you for the wonderful post!
    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Heather, thank you for your kind words. I am pleased that you found inspiration in this approach to learning. I will definitely visit your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, My name is Jami and I am a student in EDM310 at the University of South Alabama. I really enjoyed reading your blog post. Your approach to letting the students learn on their own was a great idea. Sometimes teachers get so caught up in students having to do projects and assignments one particular way. With your approach the students are free to explore and come up with ideas. This method reminds me a lot of this class that I am taking(EDM310). Being free to explore, and share the information that I have learned. There is no doubt that you are preparing your students for the future.

    I will be following your blog and writing a summary on posts I comment on by April 1, 2012. If you would like to check it out you can do so on my blog .
    Thank you for the wonderful post!
    My Blog

    ReplyDelete

Heidi invites you to comment on your attempts to transform your teaching practice.

ShareThis

Creative Commons License
21 Century Classroom: The Amaryllis is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.
Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at http://heidisiwak.blogspot.com/.