Sunday, May 15, 2011

Struggles of a Writer

I am considering writing an article for Mary Ann Reilly’s new journal.  http://maryannreilly.blogspot.com/2011/04/update-about-new-journal-remix.html

Issue #1 will centre on uncertainty in relation to the artful practice of teaching.  And, I have to say,  I am uncertain how to proceed.  It is so much more difficult to be given a topic to write about than to stumble through experiences in my daily teaching practice and to record the insights gained from those experiences in my blog.  Because I am living deeply with the ideas I write about,  when it is time to write words simply flow.  This is not the experience I am having now.  I am struggling to find an entry point into this topic, which is odd, since uncertainty is not a source of stress in my life.  I like the unpredictable, chaotic moments.  I am quite comfortable not knowing what comes next.   I am not the kind of teacher who has a detailed daybook with each moment in the classroom carefully planned out.

Once again, I think of my students. What is it like for them to be given a topic out of the blue, a topic that they haven’t really been thinking about?  How can I possibly even consider asking them to work in this way?  And yet, I do.  And my students rise to the occasion.  Are they doing their best work, however,  when writing for me, rather than for themselves?  It's an uncomfortable thought, but worth exploring.  What if our students were free to pursue their own interests in writing?  What would happen if we didn't "teach" writing?  What would be gained?  What would be lost?  I'm not certain of the answer.


1 comment:

  1. Heidi,
    I think an important aspect of writing is learning what you have to say when you have nothing in mind. In many ways the feelings you express may well be a manifestation of uncertainty.

    A critical difference I imagine between you and students is that you have a choice to not write about the topic and to interpret the topic as you see fit. Students are always afforded choice and redefinition.

    An interesting addition to the journal may well be a series of starts and stops. Look forward to reading more.

    ReplyDelete

Heidi invites you to comment on your attempts to transform your teaching practice.

ShareThis

Creative Commons License
21 Century Classroom: The Amaryllis is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.
Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at http://heidisiwak.blogspot.com/.