Collaboration is widening! Our project has been spotted by Jim Pennington on Linked In and he has asked a very good question. How will this project be assessed? I am posting our initial discussions and am tossing the question to everyone for input. Here is an opportunity to design valid, meaningful assessment. What should it look like? How can we ensure that student self-assessment and personal growth is central to the entire assessment process? Can we broaden who actually assesses the skill level and gives relevant feedback? Jim has offered to help design a template for this.
Heidi, I read your blog and am excited about this project. Thank you for documenting it.
This is a type of learning that I think will become an important 1/3 of the learning styles. Unquestionably valuable to your class.
I am a Solutions Architect looking at designing a platform that includes support for building the plan, attaching artifacts such as your content and anything produced along the journey of discovery to final product.
My question is about assessment. Is there a model that you will use to formally define what each student did and achieved? I think that if this learning style is to become more of "the 21st century standard" then inevitably it will have to measured. Is there a template for doing so? Could there be?
On 04/27/11 5:14 PM, Jim Pennington wrote:
Thank you Heidi, and yes, please post it on your blog. I'll plan for a template. Sounds like the template would need some "dimensional" categories and then elements within those categories. I foresee that the elements within a general template for assessment could be refined (adapted) depending on the type of project and the journey. Elements of assessment could be checked on or off, and finalized at the end. The template elements would need to be formally defined and broadly used, probably why ACT21S exists. I'll see if I can find anything.
Weightings or bonus points may also come into play based upon difficulties encountered.
Heidi, I read your blog and am excited about this project. Thank you for documenting it.
This is a type of learning that I think will become an important 1/3 of the learning styles. Unquestionably valuable to your class.
I am a Solutions Architect looking at designing a platform that includes support for building the plan, attaching artifacts such as your content and anything produced along the journey of discovery to final product.
My question is about assessment. Is there a model that you will use to formally define what each student did and achieved? I think that if this learning style is to become more of "the 21st century standard" then inevitably it will have to measured. Is there a template for doing so? Could there be?
ReplyHi Jim,
Thanks for taking the time to comment and for your enthusiasm about this project. Great question. Development of Assessments clearly is key. In order to understand how to assess, I first need to determine how projects such as these evolve. Ability to use digital media, writing, collaboration, generating creative ideas, networking all need to be a part of this. Do you mind if I post your question on my blog? It's an important discussion at this point and I'd like to open it up to a broader audience. I don't know if there's a template already. I do know that ACT21S is a global project that is developing new models for assessment, but I haven't seen anything yet. Now that work is proceeding I am beginning to see strengths, weaknesses and next steps for my students. There definitely could be a template for this.On 04/27/11 5:14 PM, Jim Pennington wrote:
Thank you Heidi, and yes, please post it on your blog. I'll plan for a template. Sounds like the template would need some "dimensional" categories and then elements within those categories. I foresee that the elements within a general template for assessment could be refined (adapted) depending on the type of project and the journey. Elements of assessment could be checked on or off, and finalized at the end. The template elements would need to be formally defined and broadly used, probably why ACT21S exists. I'll see if I can find anything.
Weightings or bonus points may also come into play based upon difficulties encountered.

No comments:
Post a Comment
Heidi invites you to comment on your attempts to transform your teaching practice.