Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Kyle

One of my student's father is an amateur photographer.  I didn't know this until Kyle brought in his pictures for the app. They are beautifully framed with interesting angles ... I was wowed.  I wish I had known this before I had given the kids a lesson on taking pictures based on the information Ian had sent me about how to frame a shot.  My students would have learned so much more.

It reminds me once again of how important it is to teach my students how to connect to experts.  I could have invited Kyle's dad into the class and they would have had a wonderful lesson on photography. Kyle and I both laughed at the ridiculousness of me teaching them how to frame a shot when someone like his dad was in the community.  On a more serious note, why am I wasting their time?  It hit home that central to my role as a 21st century teacher is to anticipate where expertise is required and to seek it out on behalf of my students so they're not stuck in wasteful moments.

Note to self:  next year survey all parents to find out what their skill sets are. 

5 comments:

  1. I agree 100%. The walls of our classrooms no longer exist. Not leveraging experts is a huge missed opportunity for people reluctant to use social media, skype, or any of the fantastic connection tools that exist (for free).

    One caveat for anyone else reading this: I think it is important to remember that our primary skill is teaching, which is a special skill. Our job is to connect that expert to our kids and then pull the right info out in the right way to transform what they know into a memorable lesson.

    Experts are raw materials, teachers are the filters/processors/converters in the system.
    The amazing thing about teaching now is that we used to have such limited access to raw materials but now those limits are crumbling.

    We had textbooks or knowledge we learned from reading, from school, from friends. Maybe we could take a field trip, maybe we could record a show with a VCR, but we were limited.
    Now, as you stated, we can connect directly to the sources of creation and innovation.

    It is a great time to be an educator, isn't it?

    PS- I wrote a piece echoing these sentiments too, if you're interested:

    http://teacherhaines.blogspot.com/2011/03/in-1980s-everyone-was-communist.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very well said George. It is a great time to be a teacher. The toolbox has expanded, but the skills of teacher will always be necessary.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey mom, still trying to get a hold of dad, I've tried everything. If you're online and see this call me please!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You definitely aren't the only teacher to miss out on an opportunity like that but by sharing your thoughts you may reduce the number of teachers in your position in the future! Invaluable!
    I love your project and think that as well as giving pupils a brilliant local focus you are involving them with their community as well as doing it good. I've been reading the wiki with interest and if I can help in any way please let me know. I'm a secondary (12-18yo) teacher of computing based at Inverurie Academy, Aberdeenshire, Scotland.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Caffeinetangent,
    Thank you for your kind words. Glad you find our project interesting. I will definitely call upon you if we need help.

    ReplyDelete

Heidi invites you to comment on your attempts to transform your teaching practice.

ShareThis

Creative Commons License
21 Century Classroom: The Amaryllis is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.
Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at http://heidisiwak.blogspot.com/.