I introduced the app project to my class today. It wasn't news to everyone because one of my students had visited my blog last night. As I was introducing the project to the class, he had already found examples of Ian's apps on his Ipad and had them ready to show the class. This gave everyone a good idea of what we are aiming for.
Questions and suggestions immediately ensued. Students had several ideas of what they might photograph for the Dundas travel app. The idea of making this useful to people who actually visit Dundas arose, a few of them recognized that they must consider audience when designing the app. The idea of a 360 degree view had them thinking and it was clear logistics are a concern. They had great questions, questions for which at this point we do not have any answers. What impresses me is that the questions and observations are in line with what adults might have if engaged in a similar task.
I really want this to be my students work, so I am taking a back seat at the moment. I see my role as support person to what they wish to accomplish. Students with natural project planning abilities are stepping forward with suggestions. Some are a little nervous, because this is real work. They understand that the bar has been raised and wonder if they will be able to follow through to completion. Their work will be public. This is new for them.
On Tuesday we will create a project planning board to begin breaking this down into manageable steps and I will begin visually documenting our process.
Questions and suggestions immediately ensued. Students had several ideas of what they might photograph for the Dundas travel app. The idea of making this useful to people who actually visit Dundas arose, a few of them recognized that they must consider audience when designing the app. The idea of a 360 degree view had them thinking and it was clear logistics are a concern. They had great questions, questions for which at this point we do not have any answers. What impresses me is that the questions and observations are in line with what adults might have if engaged in a similar task.
I really want this to be my students work, so I am taking a back seat at the moment. I see my role as support person to what they wish to accomplish. Students with natural project planning abilities are stepping forward with suggestions. Some are a little nervous, because this is real work. They understand that the bar has been raised and wonder if they will be able to follow through to completion. Their work will be public. This is new for them.
On Tuesday we will create a project planning board to begin breaking this down into manageable steps and I will begin visually documenting our process.

Hi Heidi,
ReplyDeleteSince your students read your blog, if you think it's appropriate - I'm happy to help answer questions they have if they ask them on this blog - I can add responses as comments and they can contribute to an ongoing discussion. It might be useful as a public record in our little experiment?
- Ian
That's a great idea Ian. Thanks. I think documenting the entire process from start to finish will be valuable for everyone.
ReplyDelete