I am quite astonished by the interest our app project is generating. This leads me to stand back in awe of the world my students and I are now living in. In the past, if I was to develop a "media unit" for my class, I would scramble to find resources, select the least out of date articles from our reader and use them as the basis for our learning. We would complete a media project that the class would see and that would be that. My students would learn as much as I knew and then we'd move on.
I no longer have to work in that way. Through twitter, my students have access to a highly skilled app developer (amongst other things -I read your bio Ian!) to guide them through the process. Our project has been spotted on twitter by Cynthia Jabar, a picture book author and illustrator experimenting in digital storytelling forms, collaborating and transmedia. http://cynthiajabar.blogspot.com/ She has offered her skills to my students and to that end they will be Skyping with her to learn about digital media and design. They have the opportunity to learn first hand from yet another expert. I'm not doing any "teaching", I've become a facilitator and a networker working on behalf of my students. And this is just the beginning. My students and I have inadvertently scratched the tip of the collaborative iceberg. We've been given a wonderful glimpse into the future of learning in the 21st century. I really, really like the view!
I no longer have to work in that way. Through twitter, my students have access to a highly skilled app developer (amongst other things -I read your bio Ian!) to guide them through the process. Our project has been spotted on twitter by Cynthia Jabar, a picture book author and illustrator experimenting in digital storytelling forms, collaborating and transmedia. http://cynthiajabar.blogspot.com/ She has offered her skills to my students and to that end they will be Skyping with her to learn about digital media and design. They have the opportunity to learn first hand from yet another expert. I'm not doing any "teaching", I've become a facilitator and a networker working on behalf of my students. And this is just the beginning. My students and I have inadvertently scratched the tip of the collaborative iceberg. We've been given a wonderful glimpse into the future of learning in the 21st century. I really, really like the view!

No comments:
Post a Comment
Heidi invites you to comment on your attempts to transform your teaching practice.