I connected with a colleague in a country where I know communication is monitored and where a mis-choice of words could put a life at risk. For the first time ever I need to think about censoring my words.
It brought home just how privileged I am to live in a country where I am free to question and challenge my government. It brought home the responsibility I have to ensure that these freedoms continue. It brought home the need to pay attention to what is happening in my own country as well as in others. Rights and freedoms can so easily be chipped away at until they have all but disappeared.
Most of all, it made me even more aware that by continuing to establish global web-based connections and share our ideas and experiences we are participating in building a better world.
It brought home just how privileged I am to live in a country where I am free to question and challenge my government. It brought home the responsibility I have to ensure that these freedoms continue. It brought home the need to pay attention to what is happening in my own country as well as in others. Rights and freedoms can so easily be chipped away at until they have all but disappeared.
Most of all, it made me even more aware that by continuing to establish global web-based connections and share our ideas and experiences we are participating in building a better world.

That's a very insightful post, Heidi, and a reminder that we should think about and be thankful for what we have daily. I often wonder what the big machinery looks like and acts like in a country where things are censored. I just can't fathom the size of what is needed in order for the machinery to work.
ReplyDeleteNo kidding Doug. Think of all the money spent to simply monitor people. What a waste of a country's precious resources - its people!
ReplyDeleteSpot-on, friend. Continue the good work...
ReplyDeleteA great reminder of how fortunate we really are as Canadians and how great and powerful social media can be to easily allow us to share ideas and have these very important discussions. Great post Heidi. It really made me pause and reflect.
ReplyDelete