On April 16 I will be at the LNS for a Think Tank on thinking. The LNS has developed a fantastic Co-Learning Thinking framework - I had a peek at the graphic this week- and is bringing together a number of people to discuss thinking and assessment of thinking in knowledge building classrooms.
As I was reading through the materials we've been provided with in preparation for the meeting, and saw how closely the vision aligns with the work being done in my classroom, it struck me that I have developed a body of knowledge and expertise that comes only from having been willing to question my deeply held assumptions about teaching and learning, to take risks, to connect through social media with those on a similar journeys and to seek learning outside of traditional forms of teacher education. Several years ago after realizing I could no longer teach in the system as it existed, I started working as if the one I wanted to work in already existed and started building it first in my classroom and then through my blog. Documenting my practice helped me process and learn, but sharing what I do and seeing that others could take those ideas, learn from them and make them better has been exceptionally rewarding. Helping to organize events such as Edcamp Toronto and Edcamp Hamilton, the Inquiry Working Group, and the HWDSB West Cluster Integrative Thinking Initiative has allowed me to connect with remarkable people who've had a profound impact on my practice. Seeking learning outside of traditional providers of teacher training has been key. Talk about a disruptor! Eyebrows often shoot up when I mention Rotman IThink. What is a business school doing messing about in elementary education? Or the workshops and explorations of learning organized by Exhibit Change. Why is a social entrepreneur/architect/design thinker bothering with elementary education? For those who've participated in their trainings, you know why I would seek learning there.
Sometimes people ask why I'm being so generous on my blog in giving away my discoveries about learning. They suggest I write a book. It is funny that other people are writing books with my work in it or travelling to other countries sharing what I do. After watching Clive Thompson's book writing process and all that's involved, I'm not sure that book writing is for me. I don't really feel ownership of my ideas. They come because of work other people do. They are causing others to create their own good ideas. I may change my mind. You never know.
One of the incredible luxuries I've had during this process is to not be constrained by a formal position of leadership. Being a consultant, principal or superintendent, particularly these days when decisions end up under the microscope or exploding in social media, is no easy task. Working in an innovative way somewhat outside of the traditional hierarchy has allowed me to accomplish things and even cause change within my board that I might not otherwise have been able to. Not that I haven't sought positions of leadership. I've been turned down twice, which while disappointing, did allow me to stay in my classroom and continue refining my practice. This year I've made enormous leaps in my understanding of the assessment piece in inquiry, particularly how to structure self-assessment so that learners think deeply about their own learning and consider independently where to go next in a thoughtful way. I am a better teacher now than I was even one year ago.
Do I begin a masters?
Do I even need a masters to move my vision forward?
Do I stay in the classroom because there I have a lab that allows me to continue developing my understanding of inquiry and integrative thinking?
Do I move into teacher training? I now know so much that could really help my colleagues become better at what they do.
Do I move into policy making and curriculum design?
Do I call up the administrator from Sweden who handed me his card and said,"If you ever want to come work in Sweden, let me know." An offer that was probably casually and politely made, but still, did make we wonder about possibilities.
Linkedin has certainly been an eye-opener. Although I have an account and occasionally remember to log in and accept connection requests, it is not a social media platform that I have explored or taken advantage of. I'm surprised at the number of opportunities and paths that are now laid before me. It is wonderful to see the many different directions that educators take their careers in. I can't believe what my colleagues around the world are up to.
Where might I go next?

It's time for thinking and decision-making. I am curious about directions others have chosen to go in and why they've made those choices. What is an interesting place to go next? If you have ideas or suggestions please let me know.
As I was reading through the materials we've been provided with in preparation for the meeting, and saw how closely the vision aligns with the work being done in my classroom, it struck me that I have developed a body of knowledge and expertise that comes only from having been willing to question my deeply held assumptions about teaching and learning, to take risks, to connect through social media with those on a similar journeys and to seek learning outside of traditional forms of teacher education. Several years ago after realizing I could no longer teach in the system as it existed, I started working as if the one I wanted to work in already existed and started building it first in my classroom and then through my blog. Documenting my practice helped me process and learn, but sharing what I do and seeing that others could take those ideas, learn from them and make them better has been exceptionally rewarding. Helping to organize events such as Edcamp Toronto and Edcamp Hamilton, the Inquiry Working Group, and the HWDSB West Cluster Integrative Thinking Initiative has allowed me to connect with remarkable people who've had a profound impact on my practice. Seeking learning outside of traditional providers of teacher training has been key. Talk about a disruptor! Eyebrows often shoot up when I mention Rotman IThink. What is a business school doing messing about in elementary education? Or the workshops and explorations of learning organized by Exhibit Change. Why is a social entrepreneur/architect/design thinker bothering with elementary education? For those who've participated in their trainings, you know why I would seek learning there.
Sometimes people ask why I'm being so generous on my blog in giving away my discoveries about learning. They suggest I write a book. It is funny that other people are writing books with my work in it or travelling to other countries sharing what I do. After watching Clive Thompson's book writing process and all that's involved, I'm not sure that book writing is for me. I don't really feel ownership of my ideas. They come because of work other people do. They are causing others to create their own good ideas. I may change my mind. You never know.
One of the incredible luxuries I've had during this process is to not be constrained by a formal position of leadership. Being a consultant, principal or superintendent, particularly these days when decisions end up under the microscope or exploding in social media, is no easy task. Working in an innovative way somewhat outside of the traditional hierarchy has allowed me to accomplish things and even cause change within my board that I might not otherwise have been able to. Not that I haven't sought positions of leadership. I've been turned down twice, which while disappointing, did allow me to stay in my classroom and continue refining my practice. This year I've made enormous leaps in my understanding of the assessment piece in inquiry, particularly how to structure self-assessment so that learners think deeply about their own learning and consider independently where to go next in a thoughtful way. I am a better teacher now than I was even one year ago.
I'm now at a point where I'm considering where to go next in my career, but wanting to do so in a way that allows me to continue developing my vision in a meaningful way.
Do I begin a masters?Do I even need a masters to move my vision forward?
Do I stay in the classroom because there I have a lab that allows me to continue developing my understanding of inquiry and integrative thinking?
Do I move into teacher training? I now know so much that could really help my colleagues become better at what they do.
Do I move into policy making and curriculum design?
Do I call up the administrator from Sweden who handed me his card and said,"If you ever want to come work in Sweden, let me know." An offer that was probably casually and politely made, but still, did make we wonder about possibilities.Linkedin has certainly been an eye-opener. Although I have an account and occasionally remember to log in and accept connection requests, it is not a social media platform that I have explored or taken advantage of. I'm surprised at the number of opportunities and paths that are now laid before me. It is wonderful to see the many different directions that educators take their careers in. I can't believe what my colleagues around the world are up to.
Where might I go next?

It's time for thinking and decision-making. I am curious about directions others have chosen to go in and why they've made those choices. What is an interesting place to go next? If you have ideas or suggestions please let me know.


Perfect reflection that many of us seem to be in similar situations. I turned down last year a position as well and to be decided to stay in class and learn with my students; I continue learning. I have been very lucky to be involved in ministry initiatives like you on assessment and technology. I think the ideal situation is to have 1/2 time classroom as the load with 60 students and many initiatives can be hectic and I have managed well. love the classroom process of being able to practice, learn and share. I love the unexpected twist of learning that I continually explore through students thinking and it never ceases. I need to become a better blogger and really open up and share more of my discoveries. Wishing you the best of luck and I always enjoy reading your thoughts and learning with you. You truly are an open mind educator who shares and dedicated to learning.
ReplyDeleteThank you for this. I like the idea of remaining half time in the class because that is where one learns the most. Given what an exciting time this is in education as we transition to knowledge building classrooms, having a half load so one could continue to experience and learn the process of inquiry would be useful.
DeleteVery good questions that ran through my head as well. I am and have always been undecided about career because I always felt my place is in the classroom.
ReplyDeleteI think eventually comes down to your main purpose.
If you want to explore your knowledge and understanding, go to Sweden.
If you want to succeed, write a book.
If you want to make a big impact, get involved in policy-making.
Thanks Cristina for peeling off the layers. This is useful.
Delete