Thursday, April 25, 2013

Why do Inquiry? This is why.

In my previous post I reflected on the transformation my practice has undergone beginning in 2009. Today, I had the privilege of seeing first hand the rewards of that effort during our trip to the Art Gallery of Hamilton to see the Eye of Napoleon exhibit.

My grade 7 students completed their War of 1812/Napoleon inquiry at the end of February. I did very little direct instruction throughout the inquiry. We had discussions, they shared with each other,  I clarified misunderstandings and provided feedback and support to students as they constructed their knowledge, but I didn't "teach". Students were given the task of exploring their interests within the topic and deciding for themselves what was significant. The inquiry is documented on this blog so I won't explain our process in depth in this post.

At the end of the inquiry students were not given the traditional "test" that so often marks the termination of a history unit. Instead they had to present their findings to the class and defend their work - both content and design choices.

Once presentations ended, we moved immediately to our Self-Directed Learning Inquiry and did not  have time to review Napoleon before our trip today.   I wondered, then, how much students would remember given the span of time between the end of the inquiry and our visit to the Art Gallery.  I certainly didn't have to worry. They astonished me today. There was not one student in my class who couldn't provide in depth commentary on what they saw.  From his relationships with Josephine, Marie Louise and other women, to his propaganda, to his battle strategies, to his rise and fall and exiles ... it went on. Students, in fact, were eager to not be directed by a tour guide because they wanted to explore and take their time viewing and reading. When it was time to go to the studio for sculpting, most students were not ready to leave the exhibit because there was more they wanted to see.

That is not typical of grade 7 students. I cannot recall any unit of history that I have taught in the past where all students would be able to provide in depth commentary two months after the unit was completed. The research says that knowledge retention is significantly greater when students engage in inquiry. I have now seen evidence of this first hand and it is very, very satisfying.




1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing your experience about inquiry. We've been working on the inquiry-based approach to learning and teaching, as well. We are always impressed with the level of knowledge and understanding our students display....and their ability to remember content. The inquiry approach does work! Cheers, Louise

    ReplyDelete

Heidi invites you to comment on your attempts to transform your teaching practice.

ShareThis

Creative Commons License
21 Century Classroom: The Amaryllis is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.
Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at http://heidisiwak.blogspot.com/.