This week my grade 7 students worked with a 5/6 class to teach them and their teacher how to explore the complexity of a problem by creating a causal model. The 5/6 teacher observed while we worked with students.
I began by reminding the grade 7's of the causal models we have already created and their purpose.
We then presented the problem to the class, "Why do people smoke," which is part of the 5/6 health curriculum.
Groups of 4 were created and students spread out into work spaces. What I find so interesting during this process is that students who often have difficulty focusing during structured lessons have a great deal to contribute during these moments.
During the last 15 minutes we regrouped to share insights. The 5/6 students spoke first.
One of the most useful techniques to encourage sharing that I have learned from working with I-Think is the very simple statement, "Tell me more." Students often have difficulty explaining what they mean. Rather than interrupting, finishing sentences or making assumptions about meaning, simple saying "Tell me more" provides the opportunity for students to clarify and fully explain ideas.
Grade 7 students shared next, adding additional insights and modeling speaking with clarity.
This was a wonderful opportunity for my students to solidify understanding and to take on a leadership role expanding the "who's a teacher" in our school.
I began by reminding the grade 7's of the causal models we have already created and their purpose.
We then presented the problem to the class, "Why do people smoke," which is part of the 5/6 health curriculum.
Groups of 4 were created and students spread out into work spaces. What I find so interesting during this process is that students who often have difficulty focusing during structured lessons have a great deal to contribute during these moments.
During the last 15 minutes we regrouped to share insights. The 5/6 students spoke first.
One of the most useful techniques to encourage sharing that I have learned from working with I-Think is the very simple statement, "Tell me more." Students often have difficulty explaining what they mean. Rather than interrupting, finishing sentences or making assumptions about meaning, simple saying "Tell me more" provides the opportunity for students to clarify and fully explain ideas.
Grade 7 students shared next, adding additional insights and modeling speaking with clarity.
This was a wonderful opportunity for my students to solidify understanding and to take on a leadership role expanding the "who's a teacher" in our school.


.jpg)


No comments:
Post a Comment
Heidi invites you to comment on your attempts to transform your teaching practice.