Hi Heidi
I was reflecting on the York conference and thought about your question re: commodification. Then I read your slides. I realized that commodification is integral to your concerns about student privacy.
It involves student privacy and a larger issue. Specifically, Facebook has commodified the
like button, using the numbers to promote or sell. When people solicit
likes, they are requesting a currency from us similar to asking for $ donations, and
likes become real $ for Facebook.
The challenge since the WWW bubble burst has been to monetize what we do online. Facebook has done this brilliantly because it has engineered a system where the 1 billion users generate content,
likes and market. Then FB sells data and messages inserted into timelines to corporations.
Where this intersects with your concerns is the point where Rogers, Intel, Microsoft, Apple, etc. solicit school liaisons and participation, then use that interaction to leverage further sales. That is the point at which some student work becomes commodified, and for the gain of the corporations rather than the students.
This is not a new phenom. Companies who invite students to colour pictures, then put them on the restaurant walls are doing the same thing, but the difference is the scale. Apple has actively courted education since its inception in similar ways.
What teachers and students have to discuss is how comfortable they feel as participants in these marketing campaigns. If they wanted, they could use Unix machines and public domain software. That would be making a political statement just as
is using Apple gear.
We have to concede that we are part of an economic system in which Apple and others deserve to have a revenue stream, and
have one to sustain their efforts. What you are highlighting is the degree to which rights and privacy are compromised in those transactions.
I really enjoyed reading his response. It surprises me just how privacy and profits work.
ReplyDeleteThanks for your comments Rachel. I, too, found Neil's response very thought provoking.I think there must be a great deal more transparency about the relationship between education and corporations.
Delete