I have to confess that after my return from ISTE and the unrelenting pace of last year, I crashed. Shut down my connected. Enjoyed the quiet. Not felt the urge to tweet, post, share nor follow. Instead I've spent time with family, (my father continues to deteriorate and family time is absolutely the priority), found accommodations for my daughter who is heading off to university this fall, enjoyed our pool, painted miles and miles of trim, watched the Tour de France and now the Olympics, hiked, and taken a well earned rest.
My mind hasn't been entirely quiet thought. I have been thinking about this connected world, what it means to be connected and what exactly the value is of being connected. How does being connected enrich our lives and how does this constant connection remove us from life? How is life different when one is connected and when one deliberately chooses not to be? I suppose I've been viewing being connected with a critical eye to determine what comes next for my teaching practice and how to make the most effective use of these tools for my students.
What does astound me are the unexpected events that arise from being connected. One of the laments of my husband's family about their nomadic childhood has been the loss of contact with friends and family that occurred when letters and phone calls were the only options. This summer as a result of my blog, Tales from an Unusual Childhood, and a post about the Telstar Satellite, http://unusualchildhood.blogspot.ca/2011/10/tarot-cards-and-telstar-satellite.html long lost family has been found and I am looking forward to meeting more members of that very unusual family!
My mind hasn't been entirely quiet thought. I have been thinking about this connected world, what it means to be connected and what exactly the value is of being connected. How does being connected enrich our lives and how does this constant connection remove us from life? How is life different when one is connected and when one deliberately chooses not to be? I suppose I've been viewing being connected with a critical eye to determine what comes next for my teaching practice and how to make the most effective use of these tools for my students.
What does astound me are the unexpected events that arise from being connected. One of the laments of my husband's family about their nomadic childhood has been the loss of contact with friends and family that occurred when letters and phone calls were the only options. This summer as a result of my blog, Tales from an Unusual Childhood, and a post about the Telstar Satellite, http://unusualchildhood.blogspot.ca/2011/10/tarot-cards-and-telstar-satellite.html long lost family has been found and I am looking forward to meeting more members of that very unusual family!

No comments:
Post a Comment
Heidi invites you to comment on your attempts to transform your teaching practice.