I love the seredipity of twitter! Yesterday I saw a tweet announcing an event: Digital Media: the Eighth Art. It was the inaugural event designed to bring those working in digital media together to network and ultimately build digital media creation into Hamilton's new economy.
It was held at CHCH on Jackson St. Startups, industry, government, entrepreneurs all working in the field of digital media had an opportunity to connect. I was so glad I went because this effort bridges the gap between what I am working at in my classroom and the 'real' world. Who did I meet? Some very exceptional people and organizations, so many of them at or just out of the incubator stage or who foster incubation.
Ron Neuman the Executive Director of the Innovation Factory
Linda Mitton from indieoption.com, a hub designed for independent film makers to connect, collaborate and create
David Thompson, lead designer for battlegoat studios, who designs sophisticated strategic games.
Kristin Huigenbos, the coordinator of the Small Business Enterprise Centre
Factory Media Centre (www.factorymedia.ca) - who provide a shared space and skills for teaching and crowdsourcing expertise for film creation.
And many more.
I was the only educator there from an elementary school and I only found the event by chance. What a disconnect. Here we are preparing learners to eventually enter such worlds and yet typically we do not form networks within those kinds of communities. Do we truly understand just what we are preparing our students for? I learned so much this evening, made many interesting connections and each one of the people I spoke with had skills and expertise that would benefit my students. I had a ton of fun and am looking forward to the interesting projects that are going to evolve from the connectons we made. Thanks visionaries!
It was held at CHCH on Jackson St. Startups, industry, government, entrepreneurs all working in the field of digital media had an opportunity to connect. I was so glad I went because this effort bridges the gap between what I am working at in my classroom and the 'real' world. Who did I meet? Some very exceptional people and organizations, so many of them at or just out of the incubator stage or who foster incubation.
Ron Neuman the Executive Director of the Innovation Factory
Linda Mitton from indieoption.com, a hub designed for independent film makers to connect, collaborate and create
David Thompson, lead designer for battlegoat studios, who designs sophisticated strategic games.
Kristin Huigenbos, the coordinator of the Small Business Enterprise Centre
Factory Media Centre (www.factorymedia.ca) - who provide a shared space and skills for teaching and crowdsourcing expertise for film creation.
And many more.
I was the only educator there from an elementary school and I only found the event by chance. What a disconnect. Here we are preparing learners to eventually enter such worlds and yet typically we do not form networks within those kinds of communities. Do we truly understand just what we are preparing our students for? I learned so much this evening, made many interesting connections and each one of the people I spoke with had skills and expertise that would benefit my students. I had a ton of fun and am looking forward to the interesting projects that are going to evolve from the connectons we made. Thanks visionaries!

No comments:
Post a Comment
Heidi invites you to comment on your attempts to transform your teaching practice.