One of my favourite uses for the document camera is shared editing and revising. My grade 7 students have been working on an inquiry on oil exploration in the Arctic. Their culminating task will be to produce a magazine article presenting points of view. (details are on the Grade 7 page.) Most students are at the writing stage so I deemed this an appropriate moment to teach revising.
I asked the class a question: when I mark this, what will I be looking for? The yellow post-its are ideas the students generated. They are part of our Success Criteria for this unit. The meaning on the notes may not to be evident to an outside observer - that is not the point. Because they have been co-created by students and myself, they are meaningful to us. Once ideas had been generated I put a piece of writing under the document camera for discussion purposes. The students already knew the topic well and were able to easily spot the flaws. They could explain what needed to be done to bump up the quality of the work.



Love the use of the document camera. Another idea to my list! Thanks
ReplyDelete