Monday, December 26, 2011

Reading Just Ain't What it Used to Be ...

Today marks the death of the paper book. For me that is. I received a paper book this Christmas, Arguably Essays, by Christopher Hitchens. It is always a pleasure to read eloquent writing, but I find myself frustrated by the one-dimensional nature of the text. I realize that reading is no longer a linear activity. I find myself wanting to read in layers, in divergent streams as I explore ideas in the text and seek answers to questions that arise as I read. I am searching for links to click on, particularly when historical references are made. So I sit with device in hand conducting searches, seeking clarification.

This same desire does not occur as I read The Hunger Games, a work of fiction.  It is non-fiction that has driven me to a new way of reading.

As an educator, it prompts me to consider the textbooks that sit on our shelves. It's over.  This pleases me.  As e-readers or tablets or whatever form the modern text will take becomes the norm, the process of reading and interacting with "text" is about to become so much more engaging for our students. In exchange for this richer experience, educators must be prepared to release control over what each student chooses to interact with as they read.  Within a broad topic, one student may choose to click on a biographical account of a key player in an event while another student chooses to click on a detailed explanation of the weaponry used during the event, while another seeks information on the clothing and lifestyle of the period.  Each student will be able to further explore based on personal interests and reading level.  What perhaps will be eliminated is the drifting off into daydreams that occurs when texts fails to engage readers. Perhaps, finally, there will be something for everyone.


5 comments:

  1. I love books and I respect people's choices as in "the book is dead to me". But I think it is unfair to assume one's experience is shared by everyone.
    Most of my students (and former students, with whom I keep in touch) love (already) classical books. If we want "inclusive" education let us respect everyone's choice, right? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree Heidi! When I am reading non-fiction, I find myself using the internet to look up facts and find more information. Sometimes when I read fiction I do this too. For example, I am currently re-reading "Trainspotting." Because it is set in Scotland and I am not familiar with all of the slang (yes, I am aware there is a listing of some of the terms in the back of the book), I use Urbandictionary.com to assist me with the terms I don't understand. Do I need it to read the book? No, but It does give me an enriched reading experience.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to share a comment made by one of my students right before break. We were using our science textbook to gather background info on asteroids, comets, meteors. I was starting with the book for the 'definition' type of learning. I was scaffolding the instruction to lead to using our ipads for more recent, detailed information on the topic. Immediately, one student stared an interesting conversation...
    After using our iPads all year, she said, "There is so much more to know than what is on this page."
    Another student followed up with a smile and, "I know...I'm looking for the links in the book."
    After laughing about this, the first student said, "wish I could zoom into this picture. I want to see the surface of the asteroid better."

    This led us into using the SolarSystem app by Marcus Chown to get more information. But, it was such an important conversation because it reaffirmed for me that my students WANT more. When reading, they have questions...which is cool in itself. But, also, they recognize how to get answers. They look for these links, images, and extra files in their paper book!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This came via twitter from Cristina,

    @heidiSiwak

    *below is the comment that could not be posted on your blog*

    Hi Heidi,
    I never questioned the accessibility of text/information through the use of technology (to be honest, I am the geekiest teacher in my school - I was the first to create a student website, a class blog, used Skype and other digital tools to enhance learning).

    My point was that we have to be open to all kinds of reading, including regular books. Kids DO enjoy reading them and we should not go to the other extreme now that technology made ebooks so readily available.

    There's nothing wrong for the old and the new to blend, is it?...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Danielle and Leah for sharing your insights. We teach in interesting times. Cristina, I think you've nailed it; as our practice is rapidly transformed by technology, finding balance and understanding purpose is key. This year I have a group of passionate readers. For me there is no greater pleasure than being asked, "Can we read now?" and then seeing them immersed in their books.

    ReplyDelete

Heidi invites you to comment on your attempts to transform your teaching practice.

ShareThis

Creative Commons License
21 Century Classroom: The Amaryllis is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.
Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at http://heidisiwak.blogspot.com/.