Friday, February 18, 2011

Social Media is the Game Changer

I have introduced Collaborize, a closed, social media platform, to my class. After a few inane practice activities, I posted my first question that I hoped would prompt engaged learning.  The question had a response expiry time;  every student who responded that evening, would receive a treat the next day. There was a 4 hour window of opportunity.  7 of my students were able to respond.

The next morning I announced that the 7 students who had been able to go on our class site would be rewarded with a treat and the rest of the class would be left out.  This provoked a strong and indignant reaction from the class.  The activity had been structured to be competitive.  By design it led to winners and losers.  I informed the class that although 7 students were receiving treats, I did not believe that they had truly won because we had learned from our study of  Ice Age clans, that collaboration and cooperation were the key to survival.  Given that only 7 members of the class had
achieved success, the long-term outlook for our class clan was grim.  Everyone agreed.

This led, however,  to a discussion of the power of social media to inform and connect.  We talked about how they could  have contacted peers so that everyone in the class was included, thereby ensuring the success of the entire clan. Texting, Facebook, MSN,  and calling each other  would have allowed treats for everyone.  This introduction to the true power of social media caused my students to stop and think. Some immediately saw the possiblities.  For other's the idea was beyond them. It was a start though to reframing their understanding of what it means to be successful.

By the way, I did not allow the 7 students to immediately eat the treats. (Thanks Mr. Scheben who witnessed our discussion and made the suggestion)  Instead, I informed the 7 that they were the hunters for the clan.  The timbits were the "kill".  They now had to decide whether to share the kill with the rest of the clan.  I would live by their decision. They were sent outside to decide their course of action.  I stayed with the class and discussed how we would respond to their decision.   I was proud (and relieved)  to say that the hunters recognized that they needed the rest of the clan to survive and decided to share the treats.
Competition 0, Collaboration 1

I must keep thanking Bruce Bradley and Dennis Stanford whose incredible work has led to my students having way too much fun for this to be called school!

8 comments:

  1. I agree. Everything changed when I added a class social network, including blogs and the ability to comment and ask questions online.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Gary,
    What astonishes me is the deep thinking that occurs when discussions continue on for days. Students reflect and develop reasoned arguments. The quiet voices are emerge. Students who fly under the radar now have a comfortable, risk-free space to articulate their ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heidi. First off, thanks for writing about your experience with Collaborize Classroom. Second, you hit the nail on the head in your comment. Online learning platforms are a perfect tool for students who don't usually speak up in class, either because they are too shy or they need extra time to formulate an answer. Third, Kudos on bringing your online discussions back into the classroom (and vice versa).

    +Shana, digital media + pr manager for Collaborize Classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @mathyhorsedude....awesomeness! I use twitter and a blog for algebra and I'm try to encourage/leverage my students to preview the lectures before class on videos I post via twitvid. I love the idea of offering rewards for the ones taking the initiative. thanks for the idea! My next step is to engineer how they can peer-to-peer teach via twitter. You're doing great work. Scott

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks. This is such an exciting time to be a teacher. Have a look at Catlin Tucker's work. She's doing some really interesting work with Social Media.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Competition 0, Collaboration 1" Love this! Classic. Thanks for sharing the whole process you conducted here.

    In attempting to foster the same kind of appreciation for social media, I recently sent out a message via my class Google Group that said, "Could you use five bonus points? Just respond to this message before Monday morning." I only had a few responses. I think I am going to send out another tonight and offer an extra one point for any response that says they responded because someone else either texted them, called them or posted on their FB page.

    Thank you again for the Finland video! Again, the power of social media. I'd still be looking for it. I am enjoying your blog. I just finally began my own.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Suzie, thanks for your positive comments. Social Media is a fun way to learn. I'm glad I could help you with the Finland video. Ian Chia is my hero! He is a master archivist! So glad to hear that you've begun a blog. A few teachers in my school have started or are starting blogs. Send me the link once it's up and running.

    ReplyDelete

Heidi invites you to comment on your attempts to transform your teaching practice.

ShareThis

Creative Commons License
21 Century Classroom: The Amaryllis is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.
Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at http://heidisiwak.blogspot.com/.