As I watch in awe our huge leap forward in collaborative learning through Web 2.0, I can't help but wonder what Charles Darwin would have to say. If you were to ask most people what Darwin's main thesis was, they'd probably respond, 'Survival of the Fittest'. That was an enormous misrepresentation of his work. Somehow his main message was lost. For the record, here it is: what has allowed the human species to survive is its ability to cooperate and have empathy. I think Darwin would be a fan of Web 2.0.
Documenting the transformation of my classroom into a 21st Century place for learning. This blog is about to undergo a long overdue design overhaul. Willing to move if the right opportunity comes my way!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
ShareThis

21 Century Classroom: The Amaryllis is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.
Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at http://heidisiwak.blogspot.com/.
Hi Heidi,
ReplyDeleteI agree that Charles Darwin would definitely be a fan of Web 2.0. His "survival of the fittest" theory was made earlier in his life and as he got older changed his stance on evolution. However, he is forever linked to the "dog eat dog" mentality and "law of the jungle" which promotes competition rather than collaboration. I'm wondering if you have read the book "Spontaneous Evolution" by Bruce Lipton and Steve Bhaerman. They delve deep into the "myth-perception" of the survival of the fittest theory.
Great post!
I bought the book! Thanks for the tip.
ReplyDelete