I was messaging with a new colleague in England. (21st century teachers develop a global professional learning network: PLN, which is great fun). He had contacted me because I had posted on Linked In that I feel very grateful to be working in a province that is committed to implementing 21st century fluency best practices and is providing funding and training. He asked what this meant, particularly with regard to technology.
I began to list how we use technology in my school.
At my school we are rich in technology, particularly assistive technology. We use it most effectively to help learners become independent.. Our grade 2's and 4's use MP3 players to self-monitor fluency in reading. We use Smart Ideas which allows weak (or any) writer to organize ideas before they begin the writing process. Premier - which is a talking word processor is available. We also have Kurzweil to scan texts that can then be read aloud to struggling readers. We have Dragon Naturally speaking (voice activated word processing ) to assist struggling writers. Students are allowed to use their phones, Ipads etc in class as long as they are involved in learning activities.
We have Online Math for students in grades 6, 7 and 8. If a child is struggling with a concept, they can head to a computer with a tablet in the resource room, put on a headset and contact a math facilitator at our board office who will work one-one through the difficulty. Online after school assistance is also available through home until 9pm for grades 7-12.
Many of our classrooms have Smartboards which are used in a variety of ways. All classrooms are wired and now have wireless. Identified students who require a laptop may be sent to the Centre for Success for 6 weeks where they are fully trained in how to use all of the assistive tech before being sent back into the classroom. In my class I have 7 computers, a projector, (I did have a document camera at one point) and one child has his own laptop, printer and scanner as part of his identified learning needs. We also have a computer lab in the school with 32 computers. Our lab has an open access policy. A class may be in there, but if computers are available, other students may come in to work.
We have access to You Tube and Learn 360 - both remarkable resources for a wide variety of digital media. Our internet policy is fairly flexible; blocks are in place but negotiable (except for facebook).
All of our students have their own email accounts and can transfer work between home and school using First Class - our communication system. We have a few webcams for producing digital media.
This list is not exhaustive. I know there are teachers using digital media in all kinds of ways in my school that I don't know about.
As I compiled this list, I realized that there are many places in the world that do not have access to these kinds of resources or whose boards of education have locked down the internet in a misguided attempt to protect children. Other areas have experienced severe cutbacks due to the economic recession, including reductions to a four day school week. I do feel lucky that I am able to implement new ideas because my students have access to technology.
I began to list how we use technology in my school.
At my school we are rich in technology, particularly assistive technology. We use it most effectively to help learners become independent.. Our grade 2's and 4's use MP3 players to self-monitor fluency in reading. We use Smart Ideas which allows weak (or any) writer to organize ideas before they begin the writing process. Premier - which is a talking word processor is available. We also have Kurzweil to scan texts that can then be read aloud to struggling readers. We have Dragon Naturally speaking (voice activated word processing ) to assist struggling writers. Students are allowed to use their phones, Ipads etc in class as long as they are involved in learning activities.
We have Online Math for students in grades 6, 7 and 8. If a child is struggling with a concept, they can head to a computer with a tablet in the resource room, put on a headset and contact a math facilitator at our board office who will work one-one through the difficulty. Online after school assistance is also available through home until 9pm for grades 7-12.
Many of our classrooms have Smartboards which are used in a variety of ways. All classrooms are wired and now have wireless. Identified students who require a laptop may be sent to the Centre for Success for 6 weeks where they are fully trained in how to use all of the assistive tech before being sent back into the classroom. In my class I have 7 computers, a projector, (I did have a document camera at one point) and one child has his own laptop, printer and scanner as part of his identified learning needs. We also have a computer lab in the school with 32 computers. Our lab has an open access policy. A class may be in there, but if computers are available, other students may come in to work.
We have access to You Tube and Learn 360 - both remarkable resources for a wide variety of digital media. Our internet policy is fairly flexible; blocks are in place but negotiable (except for facebook).
All of our students have their own email accounts and can transfer work between home and school using First Class - our communication system. We have a few webcams for producing digital media.
This list is not exhaustive. I know there are teachers using digital media in all kinds of ways in my school that I don't know about.
As I compiled this list, I realized that there are many places in the world that do not have access to these kinds of resources or whose boards of education have locked down the internet in a misguided attempt to protect children. Other areas have experienced severe cutbacks due to the economic recession, including reductions to a four day school week. I do feel lucky that I am able to implement new ideas because my students have access to technology.

No comments:
Post a Comment
Heidi invites you to comment on your attempts to transform your teaching practice.