There are three levels of participation in the digital world. The first is primarily consumer. We view, we play, we share, we purchase online. I equate this to the lowest levels of thinking: retelling, making inferences and connecting ideas. The second is the level at which we want our students to be working: using digital media to evaluate, analyze, create and then connect to the global community. This requires higher levels of thinking and is transformative for teacher and student. (The third is programming, developing programs that we then use to create videos, webpages etc. and not the focus of this blog.)
When I first began to explore blogs, I created accounts for my students on Litcircuits and then left them to figure out what to do. I was not an active creator. I viewed my students' blogs in order to monitor appropriate use; however, I did not really understand how to teach blogging. How could I teach them to develop their blogs, build an audience and establish global connections when I hadn't done it myself? How could I teach them to add features, gadgets and widgets, links, upload video and slide shows that they have created when I hadn't done this myself? Practical knowledge is required if you are to be an effective teacher in the 21st century.
I know how to teach story writing because I've written stories. Teachers must develop this same comfort level with digital media.
It was when I began blogging that I began to understand how to teach digital writing. Through my blog I'm developing a deeper understanding of the logic, fluidity and power of the web. I've also rediscovered the joy of writing. Unless you are actively using digital media to create and then connect, you won't understand how to teach within its parameters.
So, where do you begin? There are many sites that have full video instructions on how to create a blog. Do what my digital learners do: You Tube it, create an account and follow the screens.
You should also visit: http://tips-for-new-bloggers.blogspot.com/2007/02/add-blogger-search-box.html
When I first began to explore blogs, I created accounts for my students on Litcircuits and then left them to figure out what to do. I was not an active creator. I viewed my students' blogs in order to monitor appropriate use; however, I did not really understand how to teach blogging. How could I teach them to develop their blogs, build an audience and establish global connections when I hadn't done it myself? How could I teach them to add features, gadgets and widgets, links, upload video and slide shows that they have created when I hadn't done this myself? Practical knowledge is required if you are to be an effective teacher in the 21st century.
I know how to teach story writing because I've written stories. Teachers must develop this same comfort level with digital media.
It was when I began blogging that I began to understand how to teach digital writing. Through my blog I'm developing a deeper understanding of the logic, fluidity and power of the web. I've also rediscovered the joy of writing. Unless you are actively using digital media to create and then connect, you won't understand how to teach within its parameters.
So, where do you begin? There are many sites that have full video instructions on how to create a blog. Do what my digital learners do: You Tube it, create an account and follow the screens.
You should also visit: http://tips-for-new-bloggers.blogspot.com/2007/02/add-blogger-search-box.html

No comments:
Post a Comment
Heidi invites you to comment on your attempts to transform your teaching practice.