Thursday, October 31, 2013

Beginning the New History Curriculum with Theory Building

The new Ontario grade 7 History curriculum begins in the year 1713. Perhaps that year should have said something to me right away, but I'll confess, it didn't. It took some research to find out why that seemingly arbitrary year is our starting point. To launch the unit, I wanted to find out students' starting points. When they hear "1713", what do they imagine life in Canada was like?

To do this, though, students had to first clear up misconceptions about the word "technology". I placed one object on each group's table: a ruler, a stapler, a pencil, a paper clip ... and asked, "Is this technology?" It is common for people to understand technology to be electronic and my students were no different. It took some discussion before they reached clarity.

Students moved to an independent silent thinking activity that took about 40 minutes. For those who follow my blog, you'll know why that independent thinking time is so important.

I distributed this sheet and asked them to imagine life in Canada in 1713. What was it like? What were their theories and could they explain why they thought that?


This was an unexpectedly revealing activity. The number of students who described gender roles in variations of "men went out and did all the hard work and women stayed home and looked after the children and did the easier work" was alarming.

It was, however, a pleasure to watch students wrestle with thinking. Did they have electricity then? Were there roads? Several were frustrated that they weren't allowed to find answers to their questions so they could construct better theories. Many students realized that how they answered one box impacted responses in others. Some students had extensive schema to draw upon; others very little. Some students could make extended connections; others struggled. I, however, now have a very clear picture of how my students think.  

2 comments:

  1. Hello Ms. Siwak; my name is Sarah and I am a student at the University of Alabama in Mobile, AL. We are to comment on a teachers blog that we get assigned then write a blog post summary of what we have commented on. I really enjoyed reading this particular post. You created a great strategy for your students. My favorite part of the lesson was when you gave your students the few items that are normal everyday office items; then when you asked them if those were technology. I thought it was clever to do that and get the responses from your students. It sounds like your students were taken back at the question and really had to think about their answer. You are right that now a days people think technology is just electronics, but those few items you gave your students was technology in a different time. I can't wait to read more from your blog. Please check out our class blog and my own personal blog. Here are the links: edm310.blogspot.com and barnettsarahedm310.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Heidi invites you to comment on your attempts to transform your teaching practice.

ShareThis

Creative Commons License
21 Century Classroom: The Amaryllis is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.
Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at http://heidisiwak.blogspot.com/.