Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Biography Inquiry: The Interview - What Did We Learn?


Today we took some time to reflect on what we've learned so far during this inquiry. The specific activities are explained in a previous post.




We went back to the beginning of the inquiry and I reminded them that we learned how to develop questions that lead to story.




We then discussed our interviews with teachers and what we had to think about in preparing, conducting and then reflecting on the interview. This was followed by a discussion on what they had actually learned from this process. As always, I know what I wanted them to learn, but what did they take away from this whole process? That's what's important.




















 This has all been in preparation for interviewing a subject outside of school. Students are to select a grand-parent, great-grandparent, aunt, uncle, parent or family friend to interview and then create a biography.

We considered some essential questions in preparation.

What can we learn from ordinary lives?
What do our elders have to teach us?
How has my past shaped my present?
How does knowing about where I come from make my life better or worse?


















No comments:

Post a Comment

Heidi invites you to comment on your attempts to transform your teaching practice.

ShareThis

Creative Commons License
21 Century Classroom: The Amaryllis is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.
Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at http://heidisiwak.blogspot.com/.