Thursday, May 10, 2012

Welcome to Hamilton CBC

Growing up in Scarborough, CBC meant one thing and one thing only in our house - sports. Hockey Night in Canada and the Olympics reigned supreme.  It wasn't until I reached university that I discovered a whole other CBC realm. Radio. And my life was changed.  CBC radio taught me about place and country. My country. Morningside with Peter Gzowski carried me from coast to coast. I learned of the crisis in the Cod Fisheries of the East, and where the best blueberry pie in Canada can be found (Sioux Lookout, Ontario) and why there is a separatist movement in the west, and issues that First Nations people face in our country, and ... and ... and.    I can still hear the voice of Lister Sinclair, "Tonight on Ideas ..."  And of course, Stephen Lewis, Dalton Camp and Eric Kieran's debates on politics were some of most engaging, thoughtful, respectful and civilized conversations ever.

Really, my degree should have a CBC stamp upon it. As we sat around the table drinking coffee at our student house at 196 Napier St., discussing what we heard, we learned as much, perhaps more from CBC than we did from our lectures.

It is with great delight that I welcome CBC's new digital media service to Hamilton. This service is reinventing media using the communication tools of today and creating a digital space for community voices that will connect us in new ways. I look forward to the evolution of the concept and wish us (it belongs to all Canadians, afterall) nothing but success.



2 comments:

  1. To me Hamilton has always been a special secret. Until people come in and see its real wonders (Waterfalls, beaches, trails, homes and farms) no one but us really knows how wonderful it is to live here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I fully agree. Hamilton is Southern Ontario's best kept secret.

    ReplyDelete

Heidi invites you to comment on your attempts to transform your teaching practice.

ShareThis

Creative Commons License
21 Century Classroom: The Amaryllis is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.
Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at http://heidisiwak.blogspot.com/.